Leave Manziel Alone

By:  Jeff Arnold

Less than a year since becoming the first freshman in college football history to win the Heisman trophy, Johnny Manziel (Texas A & M) is facing the likes of criticism that no recipient has ever felt. Due to partying off the field and an autograph incident that resulted in a half game suspension, Manziel is constantly under fire. This is completely unwarranted. Not only are the critics overreacting, but they should realize that what Manziel is doing is no worse than what a majority of college football players do as well. They all party; they all do stupid stuff. The difference though is that the others aren’t thrust into the spotlight at a moment’s notice.

“Johnny Football” was the craze of the sport’s world last year and to expect him to be a perfect role model is ridiculous. He’s only twenty years old, he messes up, but at the end of the day he’s still a good kid. His teammates love him and he has a stronger work ethic than a lot of starting quarterbacks at the college level but again, they don’t have a “2” on their back with “Manziel” above it.

In terms of being a good role model, he is still doing just fine. He goes to charity events, signs autographs (too many according to the NCAA), cares about the program, and tries to reach out to as many young kids as possible. As a player, you couldn’t have your kid look up to anybody that much better. He makes plays, is unselfish, and is extremely passionate about what he does. As a person, you have to realize that idolizing a twenty year old college kid probably isn’t a good idea in the first place. I understand why younger kids would, but at the same time it’s up to the parents to educate their kids about how the choices he makes and are not perfect.

What’s even more ridiculous than the media and everyday people who criticize Manziel for his off the field reputation are those who claim it impacts his performance in games. Through four games this year his team is 3-1[1]. Granted two of those were against teams that haven’t cracked the top 25 in years; but still, a win is a win. He also has thrown for twelve touchdowns, rushed for 3 more, and has a passer rating that is 44.5 points higher than another Heisman-hopeful: Clemson starter, Tajh Boyd[2]. Long story short, his stats are just as good as practically any other elite quarterback in the country. He is also the only one dealing with immense scrutiny, thus anybody saying that his off the field activities are holding him back is dead wrong.

Here’s the bottomline, Johnny Manziel is trying to put his name in the record books again before he heads off to the NFL most likely at the end of this year. He shouldn’t b criticized for that matter, for enjoying what little time left he has of the college experience. He’s not the perfect role model, he’s not quite a perfect player, but he is trying and that’s all we can ask for.e punished, or even

[1] The only loss came against the #1 overall ranked team, Alabama, however Manziel still impressed in this game with the offense scoring 42 points on what is considered the best defense by a long shot in college football.

[2] Boyd also plays in a conference (the ACC) that is historically worse at football, meaning that even if his stats did compare to Manziel’s in pure quantitative form, it would be against easier competition.