WHS Boys’ Varsity Basketball Preview

The Westborough Rangers varsity basketball team ended their last year’s season with a record of 8 wins and 11 losses. Since the last season ended Coach Rahul Shah has been preparing for the upcoming schedule and creating new rosters with a team of twelve players.

Last year was Coach Shah’s first season with the Rangers, so he is looking to better his performance this year with an expectation of entering the Clark Tournament. The Varsity’s team manager, junior Owen Earnest observes that the team is going to be very diverse this year with the loss of so many seniors and new upcoming players. When asked how the loss of all the seniors is going to affect the team this year, he replied, “I think that the loss of the seniors is not nearly as nearly significant as the loss of sophomore player Evan Cummins to prep school. His combination of height and athleticism will be very difficult to replace.”

The Varsity team is going to have a tough schedule; although, the two former best teams in the league Marlboro, and Quabin have lost a significant number of players which will be to Westborough’s advantage.

Junior point guard Pat Hession will be returning along with the four returning seniors: Nate Foy, Nick Mastrogiacomo, Nick Flaihive, and Chris Armand. Hession believes “Our team has more speed and depth this year, after already playing a season under Rahul Shah; our team has adjusted to his up tempo playing style.”

Other members from the Varsity team have said that there are some upcoming players who have been showing a lot of talent such as junior Brian Orlando and sophomore Aidon Moffat.

With the combination of these two athletes, they could help to replace the loss of Evan Cummins.

Overall the Westborough Varsity team hopes to have a great season this year with some new players. It seems as if Westborough’s very own basketball team is going to be the team to beat this year.