Girls Tennis Team Prepares for Their Spring Season

This year, the girls tennis team is kicking off their season with a scrimmage against Grafton High School on Wednesday, March 27th, at 4:30 p.m. After having lost at states for the past two years, the girls tennis team is ready to put in the work to bring home the win this season. 

Captain Diya Bhattacharya who is in her third year of the program explains the steps the team plans to take in order to accomplish their goals this season. She notes that, “As a team, we want to make sure that we are all supporting each other especially since we are a small group.”

Bhattacharya certainly brings up a good point. The team currently consists of only 12 players, the majority of them being upperclassmen. Although aspects of the sport are individual, every year is full of different people and personalities that each bring qualities to the table. 

“At the end of the day, you are playing for both the team and yourself,” Bhattacharya mentions. Therefore, it is important for the athletes to develop a balance between both their individual and group goals.

Success later on in the season begins at practice. Bhattacharya explains that a typical practice includes an emphasis on fitness, such as running to improve endurance, time to work on solo skills, and tennis related games to bring the team together at the end of practice. 

Sophomore player Myra Buch says, “At first, going into the season, I was worried about how the season might turn out, but I feel confident in our ability as a team to make it, and finals or not, I think this season will be a great one.”

Although the team anticipates challenging matches, their work ethic and determination going into the season sets them up for success. This year, the coaches have discussed three team mottos: “One-Twelfth”, “Girls with Grit”, and “Show Up”. These mottos remind players of their contributions to the team, their capabilities to push through challenges, and their drive to be their best selves.

The Lobby-O wishes all spring sport teams the best of luck this season! More details on the girls tennis team schedule, as well as all WHS spring sport schedules, can be found on arbiterlive.com.