Coach Anderson: Varsity Volleyball and Boys Track Coach

Mr. Roger Anderson is known for his successful and respected coaching within the Westborough High School. Following his amazing finish of his 25th season of coaching volleyball at WHS with another state championship brought home, comes yet another season of outdoor spring boys track.

Anderson always strives for excellence and success from each of his athletes. He loves to win, but that’s not at the top of his list. He wants to see the athletes on his teams to become their best self they can be, to grow, and to always learn from others and from their own mistakes.

He may be a successful coach throughout his teams at WHS right now, but that wasn’t always the case.

Coach Anderson started his career off after tearing his ACL playing volleyball for fun with his friends during his sophomore year in college and ending his track career. His track coach allowed him to help and become an “assistant coach” for their college track team. 

He landed his first coaching job at Longmeadow High School for boys outdoor track, then he moved here to Westborough High School. First, he was just an outdoor boys track coach and still is today, but was the girls indoor track coach as well, for about five years. 

Within those five years, they didn’t win a single meet. But he never gave up because he knew every girl had special individual talent and brilliance. 

After being at Westborough for a couple years, he was asked to take up the head coaching job for the girls volleyball team. He did not have a clue how a practice worked, nor did he come into the job with a plan. He showed up to the first game without a lineup. “The teams from my first couple years should get their money back,” said Anderson. 

Though his early years of coaching were rough and he made many mistakes, he took that risk instead of being scared. And all those mistakes, shaped him into the successful, respected coach he is today.

He was inspired to coach mainly because he wanted to make a difference and help to create fine young women and men. His many coaches throughout his life shaped him into who he is today. Anderson said, “I had many good coaches, but there were only a few great coaches.”

He shared his love for the Westborough community, saying that the support from parents and the community is amazing. The Westborough community values education and growth and those are some of the most prioritized things for Anderson.

Anderson’s teams have had three big state championship wins in a row: two back-to-back for the WHS girls volleyball team, and one for the WHS boys 2023 outdoor spring track team. It’s exciting to see what will come next from Anderson.