Sign Your Name and Become Part of Dumbledore’s Army

By Maggie Mahoney

The word is out – there is a new club starting at Westborough High: Dumbledore’s Army. Tara Slysz, Ellen Donahue, and Molly Mahoney are the seniors who are bringing Dumbledore’s Army to WHS. It’s meant for anyone who has read or watched the Harry Potter series, or anyone who just wants to have fun.

This is the first year the club exists, but from the positive feedback they have been receiving, they expect many people to join. Mahoney estimates, “More precisely somewhere between sixteen and fifty people.”

There will be numerous activities that take place during the club including poster making, mask decorating, wands, movie nights and “naturally Quidditch, the wizard sport,” states Donahue. Everyone who joins the club will be sorted on their first day.

The three came up with this idea because they saw a sign in Mr. Perryman’s room, that had a list of names from the Harry Potter books of the wizards who joined Dumbledore’s Army, but a cl ub was not actually in existence at the time. They started the club because they wanted to share their love of Harry Potter, the real Dumbledore’s Army, and to fight He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. If the club is a success, the next step would be expanding and doing something for the community.

How is the news of this club spreading? “Strictly word of mouth,” say the founders. There is also a Facebook group supporting Dumbledore’s Army for anyone who is interested to join. Once the club begins, posters will start appearing around the school.

The founders of the club will be graduating this year but there are juniors who have shown interest in continuing the club next year.

They founders conclude with “ A message we would like to tell everyone is: if you are looking for a club that you are into, if you think you might have fun, you are welcome to join; you don’t have to have read or watched all of the Harry Potter books and movies. It’s really just about coming together and having a good time…in the wizarding world.”

The club’s first meeting was on Wednesday, November 10th in Professor Flitwick’s room, a.k.a Mr. Perryman’s room. Dumbledore’s Army will meet every Wednesday subsequently.