National Honor Society: Students Committing to Helping the Community

With National Honor Society application results coming out in the last couple of days, many sophomores, juniors, and seniors at WHS will join this academic pillar that is in high schools nationwide. 

This club was formed in 1948, allowing high school students to serve their community through community service and events. In the Westborough chapter, students participate in many community service projects at Whiter Rehab Center and the Rotary Club. Westborough NHS members are also expected to help out at various NHS-sponsored events, such as the football and basketball games where students can help sell tickets.   

The goal of the organization is to inspire “scholarship, leadership, service, and character,” which is done by fostering student’s dedication to their grades and attendance, along with pushing members to be active in the community. 

To set these standards, students must maintain an average of a 3.54 weighted GPA or higher and have a minimum of 20 hours of community service per semester, which can be obtained through the club and other extracurriculars. 

These requirements are laid out for new inspiring members at the invitational interesting meetings held in December of every school year, with the application deadline falling in the following January and results sent out in March.

Once accepted, new members will be inducted into the club through a formal ceremony where they are each given a flower and certificate. This year, the induction will be held on April 1st, 2024 where friends and family are welcome to join and cheer on their loved ones.