Last Day Of School!

Abby Fiedler: Senior Testimonial

Although it’s cliché, to say I have struggled writing this is an understatement. I am now 15 days past the deadline, writing my fourth draft, just thinking about how in seven days I will walk through the WHS halls for the last time. 

I can confidently say that high school will not be the best four years of my life. Just like everyone I have dealt with the stressful, competitive nature of WHS; tried to meet expectations of my parents, teachers, and coaches, while having good grades, going to practices, holding leadership roles in clubs, working a part time job, and somehow still having time to hang out with my friends. Although the stress and breakdowns I created for myself, as well as the sacrificed sleep and time with friends, was not ideal, I can’t say I regret it. If I hadn’t pushed myself to my limit in all aspects of high school, I don’t think I would be attending my top school choice for the next four years, confidently able to say I did everything possible to get there.

Recently I have been counting down the days until I can start the next chapter of my life, but now that I’m about to close the chapter here in Westborough, I can’t help but feel emotional. Westborough is the only place I have ever known. I have lived in the same house my entire life, and the familiarity of the surrounding community has been the best part of growing up. I want to give a quick shout out to my neighbors, the McGuirks, Bresnahans, and Bridges. You all are an extension of my family, thank you for being essential to my growing up, it’s hard to imagine a life where you are all not next door.

Time is a funny thing, it honestly feels like just yesterday that I was getting ready to try out for field hockey freshman year. I remember being so nervous that I wasn’t able to sleep the night before. Last night I had my lacrosse senior night. While high school sports have not always been the best experience, they have taught me how to be a leader, the importance of self-discipline, how to work with others even when you may not get along, and much more. Like my dad has always said, sports teach life lessons. The friendships I have gained through sports are something that I will cherish. There is nothing quite like celebrating the completion of “the Grit Test” over some DQ. I want to specifically thank my lacrosse friends, you know who you are. You guys are some of the best friends I could ever ask for, thank you for the endless laughs we have shared, I’m going to miss you all so much. 

While it may seem obvious, I want to call it out because it is really true. If you want something you are going to have to work for it. We live in a high-performance community, trophies and opportunities aren’t just handed out. Whether it’s making a varsity sport, leading a club, earning an A in an AP class or just getting into the AP class – work is required. Before starting high school, I was told that it is important to start off strong, and then hold the momentum. As if you are running a race, if you give up at any point along the way, the end result won’t feel as rewarding. Push yourself to be your best, but if you need help, don’t hesitate to ask for it, you will be surprised how many people are truly in your corner cheering you on.

One of the best decisions I made all of high school was to take journalism sophomore year. Journalism gave me the opportunity to express myself, and do something I enjoy during the school day. Mrs. Stoker, thank you for everything. You are one of the kindest people I have ever met, and you truly teach everyone how to become a better, more aware person. I was so upset when you announced you were leaving, but I am not surprised that you are continuing to change the world for the better. Thank you for being an inspiration for me and every student you have ever taught. And to Ms. Conrad, you are the teacher that I didn’t know I needed my senior year. Thank you for listening to me while I talked through my ideas, and helping me with pretty much everything journalism related – especially my senior testimonial. (I’m so sorry I have made you read all four drafts!) I am so sad that I can’t spend a class with you next year, but I’m grateful that the journalism program is in such good hands. And to Mrs. Henderson, I will miss visiting you at Westborough TV. Thank you for always helping our class with our projects, no matter how trivial they were, and thank you for truly caring about each and every one of us, and thank you for always having a box of munchkins at the entrance, we really appreciate it!

I am not the same person now as I was when I walked into the high school for the first time during freshman orientation. I have grown up as a person, and truly have changed for the better. Next year my life will change, and I will be seven hours away from the comfort of this small town. It’s scary, as I will be in a new place, with new people, but I know that I am ready to start this new part of my life.

I want to give a few more thank yous; to my friends I’ve grown up with, thank you for being by my side since elementary school, I’m honored to have shared my childhood with such awesome people.

To Owen and Alison, thank you for always keeping me in check, and for making sure there is never a dull moment at home.

To my dad, thank you for giving the best advice, and for sharing your years of acquired knowledge with me. I’m lucky to have someone that will give me a summarized history lesson in 30 seconds.

Finally, to my mom, you are truly my rock and I would not be the person I am now without you. Thank you for always being by my side and supporting me through everything. You inspire me everyday, and if I become half the woman you are, I will be proud.

I now have seven days left of high school. I am happy with the person I have become, and I am excited to see where life takes me. But for now, my next stop is Villanova University – I can’t wait to see you next fall!

For the last time ever, this is Abby Fiedler signing off for the Lobby Observer.