Last Day Of School!
Congratulations!

Lola Hudnall: Senior Testimonial

When I first started high school I thought it was going to be just like the movies. Tons of friends, something to do every weekend, and most of all inclusion. But that was not the case for me. During my time at Westborough High, there were more downs rather than ups. I was bullied heavily and would often contemplate switching schools altogether. 

While the classes themselves were fine, it was the people in it that made me feel ostracized. During my freshman year, I found a love for the sports programs offered, but as time went on and the years passed the people on such teams got so toxic I felt pressured to just quit the sport. I knew I didn’t want to, but with things adding up, it ended up being the best decision for me. 

The worst thing about it all was that everyone was connected. People would make assumptions about me based on what other people said, without even knowing me at all. They would put labels on me and make assumptions about my mental state, which would in turn make me question my state. Being one of the tallest if not the tallest girl in the school didn’t exactly help my case either. My peers would come up to me, crack an insulting joke, and then carelessly walk away. It got to the point where I became immune to these insensitive comments. The community loves to share their pride in how “The Bubble” is so inclusive and overall positive, but, in my case, it is the exact opposite. I found that some of my closest friends ended up not being from Westborough at all. 

But, with all that being said, I truly want to thank the guidance and CSS department for all that they did and continue to do for me. And I can’t thank anyone without thanking my mom. They are the reason I will graduate on time. 

Some advice I have for those who find themselves in a similar position is to heavily stress reaching out to others for help. Asking for help often has a negative stigma that it will make you “weaker”, but in reality, it makes you stronger. I hope that if you’re reading this the main takeaway from it all is that even when things are looking rock bottom, things will get better, so long as you help yourself. Change doesn’t happen without an action step. 

Overall, I think it’s important to note that while I didn’t have the most amazing high school experience, there were some good laughs and moments. I learned the many ups and downs of girlhood and was able to come out on the other side. If I could go back, I don’t think I would change it, only because I got to find my peace and was able to do some much-needed personal growth. 

View Comments (1)