Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

New Music of 2024

So far, 2024 has been a year filled with popular new music releases for every genre.  With many music festivals happening, performing artists have been showcasing their new releases for everyone to see. Many albums have been released recently and have gained significant popularity for a variety of reasons. Here are a few. 

1. Eternal Sunshine by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande’s seventh album holds the same impressive vocal range that her past albums have showcased. Released on March 8, 2024, Grande attempts to share her vulnerability from her divorce and negative press coverage about her in the new music. The pop and R&B album has done extremely well soon after its release. The first and second singles, “yes, and?” and “we can’t be friends” both debuted at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 list. Currently, “yes, and?” has been on the chart for 13 weeks and is at the 89th slot whereas “we can’t be friends” has kept its popularity being on the chart for 5 weeks and currently in eighth place.

2. Cowboy Carter by Beyonce

Beyonce’s eighth album is the second installment in her planned trilogy. Released on March 29, 2024, it follows her first album in the trilogy, Renaissance which had large success as Beyonce did her worldwide tour for it. The goal of Cowboy Carter is to showcase the whitewashed work of Black artists in the country music industry. On the cover of the album, Beyonce is seen riding a specific horse that when born has black or brown fur which slowly turns into gray and white fur. 

Beyonce released the first two singles of the album after the Superbowl which gained popularity quickly. One of the singles, “TEXAS HOLD’EM” debuted at number one on the Billboard 100 and quickly became a widely used audio on TikTok. After 9 weeks on the chart, the song is currently in fifth place. This album debuted at number one as well making Beyonce the first woman and second artist to have their first 8 albums all debut in first. Beyonce met her goal of the album with the conversation of black involvement in the country industry becoming prominent with her album at the front. 

3. We Don’t Trust You by Metro Boomin and Future

This collaborative album is the first between Metro Boomin and Future. The two have just announced that they will be touring the album this year with tickets on sale this week. The duo also released the deluxe version of their album We Still Don’t Trust You. Released on March 22, 2024, the album has three lead singles with many songs on the album doing well. One of the singles is currently at ninth after three weeks on the chart topping the chart at number two. Another of the singles, “Like That” featuring Kendrick Lamar, currently holds the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and has been there for the past three weeks. The last single, “Young Metro” is currently at 56th and topped the charts at ninth. Overall, this album has been very popular on social media and continues to be a favorite of many teenagers. 

4. This Is Me… Now by Jennifer Lopez

Jennifer Lopez’s ninth album has gained popularity, but mostly because of some comments she has made about her childhood in New York. Released on February 16, 2024, Lopez talks about her finding love and uses this album as a sequel to her third album This Is Me…Then. Lopez will be going on her first tour in five years This Is Me… Live for this album. Many people have criticized her album as she portrays herself as a girl from the Bronx, yet many people living there feel as though she has very little connection to the Bronx to still be using it in her music. At the same time, critics and social media have commented that the album along with its partner movie is simply a way for Lopez to keep her name in the press. The album dropped at 38 on the Billboard 200, making it the first of Lopez’s to not hit the top 20.

Continuing with the theme of new music, many artists have announced that they will be releasing new music this year. Here are some of those highly anticipated albums.

1. The Tortured Poets Department by Taylor Swift

Swift’s 11th album has created much excitement as it is coming out on April 19, 2024. Following the extreme success of her 10th album Midnights and her Era’s Tour, The Tortured Poets Department is expected to do even better. The album has sixteen songs with the lead single being “Fortnight” featuring Post Malone. Spotify announced that this album has broken the record for the most pre-saves on its platform. 

2. Radical Optimism by Dua Lipa

Set to release May 3, 2024, this will be Dua Lipa’s third album. Her goal for the album was to display how one can choose optimism in rough times through her songs as she did over the past few years. Feeling like someone can weather any storm with grace. The lead single, “Houdini” was released in 2023 and currently holds the 45th spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Her second single for the album, “Training Season” is currently at 63rd and the third single “Illusion” has not hit the charts. With the success of her last album Future Nostalgia, critics are expecting this album to do just as well. 

3. Better Off Alone by A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie

Releasing on May 17, 2024, he has already planned a tour with tickets already on sale for this album. Four singles have been released from the album all doing pretty well in the streaming category. Not much is known about the album yet, but more is expected to be released as the date comes closer. 

4. Hit Me Hard And Soft by Billie Eilish

After teasing an album for a while, Billie Eilish finally announced the release of her third album on May 17, 2024. There are 10 tracks on the album and Eilish has already stated that no singles will be released before the whole album is released. With her recent performance at Coachella and popularity over Barbie, many fans are excited to see what her new album holds. 

With all of this new music in 2024, we can only expect that there will be plenty more. Keep your playlists ready and ears open for all the new releases.