Take Care of Maya Documentary Review

Take Care of Maya Documentary Review

Recently released on Netflix, the documentary “Take Care of Maya”  has received a lot of attention from the public. The documentary has risen to popularity all over social media and is one of the most-watched documentaries on Netflix right now. 

The documentary tells the story of Maya Kowalski and her traumatic childhood spent in and out of hospitals. Kowalski was extremely ill as a child and went through countless visits to the doctor with her mother, Beata Kowalski. Beata was a nurse and a concerned mother, when her daughter started feeling sick she did everything she could to help her. 

Doctors weren’t sure what was wrong with Maya, they eventually concluded that she had complex regional pain syndrome. Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital suspected that Beata was guilty of Munchausen by proxy and essentially imprisoned Maya in the hospital for 3 months until she was returned to her family after a long legal battle.

Sadly, Beata Kowalski could not handle the pain of her daughter being kept away and could no longer fight the battle to get her back. Beata passed away on June 8th, 2017 and the documentary goes into depth on her death. 

The documentary is extremely well done as it includes truthful information about Maya’s case with interviews from Maya, her father, and her brother. What made the documentary so touching and powerful is the way the Kowalskis shared their personal experiences including footage from inside the courtroom and interviews.

Personally, I found this documentary very intriguing and enjoyed it thoroughly. The documentary was interesting and I felt that I was fully immersed in the film the whole time I was watching. After watching, I feel well-educated on this topic and the story of the Kowalskis. I would highly recommend this documentary to anyone who enjoys films about true stories and the law. 

As more about this case unfolds and is shared with the public, the documentary continues to gain traction in the media. This is a great watch that will keep you engaged and interested in the Kowalski family’s long legal battle and experiences.