Last Day Of School!

Syracuse Junior Emily Bruck (WHS ‘21): The Good Life Magazine Editor-In-Chief

WHS class of 2021 graduate, Emily Bruck is currently thriving at Syracuse University. Here she is studying at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications specifically majoring in Magazine, News, and Digital Journalism and minoring in Political Science. She is currently the editor-in-chief of the Syracuse paper, The Good Life Magazine.

Emily started out taking Journalism 1 her freshman year and continued with the program until her senior year where she was Co-Editor in Chief. Emily was first drawn to journalism because although she loved to write, she was interested in tackling a new form of it, unlike the typical essays written in class. Throughout her time as a member of the Lobby Observer, Emily wrote and edited articles, ran Instagram, and worked closely with former advisor Mrs. Stoker to better her journalism skills. 

Through her work for the Lobby Observer, Emily found herself captivated with the communicative and explorative nature of  journalism. She was able to talk to new people all around the town to conduct interviews and expand her networking, leading her to feel that this was the career path meant for her. 

She states, “The reason I pursued journalism in college was because when I found it, I fell in love with it. I knew I wanted to pursue a major and a field that was something I truly loved, not just something stereotypically financially successful, or something easy.” 

After seeing many guest speakers for journalism, including an alumni from Syracuse, Emily knew that she wanted to continue with her passion for writing. Her goal ultimately was to be able to share the stories that can not find a platform to be embraced. With the pivotal role of journalists in our society, she wanted to work towards improving the accessibility of good journalism. She mentions, “I wanted to be a part of shifting the narrative and creating outlets for important voices.” 

The Good Life Magazine is a biannual print magazine running on Syracuse University’s campus. The paper features solution-angled journalism stories that prioritize making and showing change in the community. Emily applied to be a part of The Good Life Magazine through an email chain during her freshman year and was selected to be a staff writer. Since then, Emily has worked through various roles, from writer to section editor, to assistant editor, to Editor-in-Chief. 

Emily explains, “Some of the writing I’ve published through this magazine – as well as the editing of 13 stories per semester as EIC – is the most inspiring work I’ve been a part of. It truly has taught me that I can do all the parts of the journalistic process – writing, editing, organizing, fact-checking, leadership, design, social media, constructive criticism, and art research.”

Thankfully, Emily has been able to continue her journalism career while studying abroad. Part of why she chose London for Syracuse abroad is because they have Newhouse classes. S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is the college within Syracuse University that Emily is enrolled in. While abroad she has taken Beauty and Diversity in Fashion Media as well as Communications Law for Journalists. Although not direct journalistic writing classes they have increased her passion in the field of journalism even more. 

Emily feels as though her main journalism takeaway from studying abroad is realizing that she can run a magazine that lives in Syracuse from London. “It was an insane and hectic semester doing that, but I’ve shown myself that my commitment to this field is stronger than I ever thought.”

For those interested in learning more about The Good Life Magazine, below is the link to their website:

https://issuu.com/thegoodlifemag.