WHS Women of Color Connect Club: Providing Opportunities “to feel heard, empowered and supported”

Members of the W.O.C Connect Club filming their first broadcast at Westborough TV.

Daphnne Cabrera '23, Co-Editor in Chief

The Women of Color (W.O.C) Connect club initially began in the spring of 2022 when The Chica Project Organization based in Boston held a leadership workshop at WHS. Westborough students decided to create its own chapter that provides a community and safe space for women of color to feel heard, empowered, and supported. 

The Chica Project in Boston inspired the club’s mission. The Chica project’s mission is to “close the opportunity divide for young Women and Girls of Color by empowering them with the skills, confidence and network necessary to thrive personally and professionally.” Their program has served over 3,000 women, facilitated 170 workshops to empower girls, and has served in 41 zip codes. 

The club recently created their first broadcast conversation that can be found on The Lobby Observer’s Youtube channel or website. The broadcast includes topics such as the development and validation of the colorism scale, how does living in a predominantly white town play a role in assimilation?, and the perspective of a Latina immigrant in high school.

Their mission is to bring awareness to the WHS and the Westborough community  that prejudice still exists in the community and how the role of the education system plays a role in that prejudice. The club also shares experiences that  people of color (poc) face every day, while celebrating and showcasing the members’ beautiful and diverse ethnicities and backgrounds. 

WHS sophomore Aisha Ali shares, “When I was told about the Chica Program through Daphnne it was exciting to hear that a predominately white school, such as Westborough High, finally had a group to represent specifically women of color (WOC)…the questions we discussed were very powerful and instantly connected us to one another. It was eye-opening to discuss with other women who shared so many of the same experiences and feelings–though we still came from separate backgrounds and origins, something which can typically cause tension within a community, these are absolutely the type of groups that unite and erase these stigmas.”

The W.O.C Connect is a women’s diversity club that has been working to create an environment where young women of color can express themselves freely and connect with other students who have shared experiences. The hope is that the club is transformed into a program from the elementary schools through the high school level.  The organization has several plans for the future including: continuing their broadcast episodes and working to incorporate and showcase Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, and Women’s History Month, and other important, but unfortunately, disregarded celebrations at school. Mentoring younger students of color at the middle and elementary schools in Westborough, touring universities, attending cultural events, and expanding the program at Westborough High School are further goals of the club.

Ali says, “I am excited for the future of the program and hope it allows for more awareness in our school around diversity in its truest form and inspires others to be proud of their identities.”

W.O.C. Connect knows that when you don’t see adults, teachers, and other students in school who look like you growing up, it’s hard to connect and maintain a sense of belonging. Representation matters. Some people in the community think racism only comes in one form, but microaggressions and preconceived notions can occur on a daily basis. W.O.C. Connects work towards the movement of embracing each other’s identities, history, experiences, culture, as well as promoting acceptance of others no matter their beliefs, religion, or ethnicity. 

WHS sophomore Veronica Njuguna comments, “This community (W.O.C. Connect) provides a safe space for women of color like myself. Where we grow together and navigate our lanes in society, even with structures intended to oppress us. While also bonding over productive conversations and empowering each other to never deem our light.”

The club meets twice a month after school in room C-115.  Please contact Daphnne Cabrera ([email protected]) or Mrs. Stoker ([email protected]) for more information.