Introducing WHS’s New Health Teacher: Ms. Morrison

Isabelle Washington '24, Contributing Writer

Though brand new to WHS, Health teacher Ms. Morrison is already starting to make a large impact on her devoted students.

Freshman Sandhya Bala says, “Ms. Morrison is one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. Her instructions are always very clear and the activities she gives us to do in class are super fun. She’s also extremely easy to talk to, understanding, and kind.”

Ms. Morrison grew up in the small town of Westford, Massachusetts alongside her parents and two older sisters.

“I was a strong English student, history student, and psychology student, but I wasn’t as strong in math or science,” Ms. Morrison comments.

She stresses that growing up in Westford, came with high expectations for young people who were commonly expected to excel. She often found the pressure difficult and felt like she didn’t fit the mold that her small town wanted for her.

“I was a strong-headed student which sometimes got in my way,” she shares.

After high school, Ms. Morrison attended Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, a school that she felt fit her well academically.

“I considered teaching in college but did not pursue the thought. I was worried about teaching health at the time but I’d always wanted to,” she says.

Ms. Morrison has had a wide variety of work experiences. She has worked in various positions such as nannying and farm work. She also has worked in banks, restaurants, and offices.

“I think everyone should work customer service at one point in their lives, it’s a very humbling experience,” Ms. Morrison reflects.

She believes her many jobs have shaped her into who she is today.

On the subject of family life, Ms. Morrison talks about her parents’ strong marriage and how it set a wonderful example for her and her siblings. She emphasizes that her family is exceptionally loving and loyal. Though raised Catholic with more traditional beliefs, her parents have always accepted her and her siblings for who they were.

“I feel lucky to have this bond,” she says.

When asked if she wasn’t teaching what would she rather be doing–the question seemed to be more difficult for her to answer.

She eventually responded, “Hmm… stay at home mom. Though I don’t have kids yet I want to in the future and my dream job would be a stay at home mom.”

Her own mother was a stay at home mom and she would love to be able to do the same.

Some of Ms. Morrisons’ hobbies outside of teaching include baking, sewing, hiking (especially Mt. Wachusett), reading, and watching “Survivor” with her fiancee.

As for WHS, Ms. Morrison has many new things she has enjoyed about the school, as well as a few things she’s been less than satsified with.

“I like it so far. I feel a little stuck in my classroom due to the virus but everything is good. Coming from the last school I worked at it’s surprising to see how polite and accountable Westborough students are and how kind they are to their teachers. I hope students are just as kind to each other,” she shares.

When asked what effect she wants to have on students as a health teacher, she responded with, “I want to encourage students to listen to that inner voice that we all have within ourselves–our intuition, our conscience, whatever you want to call it–to make decisions that will help them to be happy, healthy, fulfilled people. I want to encourage students to be authentically themselves, to take care of themselves, body and soul, and to value themselves and those around them as whole and unique individuals. That’s a pretty lofty goal, but I think in building those skills within the health curriculum, like analyzing what influences our behavior, thoughts, and beliefs, or working on the skill of making healthy decisions, I can hopefully help students find it within themselves to be the best ‘them’ they can be.”

And that is what Mrs. Morrison is doing.

Freshman Meredith Swanson says, “Ms. Morrison is a wonderful teacher. She always brings positivity to the classroom and is very invested in making sure her students are doing well academically, physically, and mentally. You can tell she cares so much about her students and wants the absolute best for us, which is a really important trait a teacher should have. Ms. Morrison’s classroom is a judge-free and safe environment and is always filled with good vibes. Ms. Morrison is a kind, smart, generous teacher who cares so much about her students. I am so thankful to be in her class.”