Are you Ready for Some Ranger Football?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are you Ready for Some Ranger Football?

Credit: Rene Thompson

Credit: Rene Thompson

Credit: Rene Thompson

Credit: Rene Thompson

By: Domenic Casparriello ’19 and Eric Gould ’19

Westborough Rangers football is back in session and the future looks brighter than ever for this up and coming program.

Fourth year Rangers Head Coach David Tinglof has put Westborough back on the map with his resilience and dedication to each and every athlete in the program. Donning a 6-5 record last season, Coach Tinglof figures to continue improving en route to a deep playoff run in the 2018 season.

“I’ve been coaching for over 25 years, and this year is the best tackling I have ever seen on the first day of tackling,” comments Coach Tinglof.

Now in week three of the 2018 season, the Rangers have a record of 0-2. In week one, the team dropped a heartbreaker to Tantasqua Regional High School, losing 26-21 and giving up a Hail Mary touchdown with seven seconds left on the clock.

Coach Tinglof had been preaching the single word “Finish!” as the 2018 motto for this team, and was clearly upset and frustrated with his team for doing the exact opposite. Still, the team’s spirit was not broken as a result of that gut-wrenching week one loss.

In fact, they only came back stronger during week two practice, with tough opponent in the Super Bowl champions from three of the last five years coming up: Nashoba Regional High School.

Despite the preparation, Westborough’s weakened offensive line, due to various injuries and disciplines, compiled with Nashoba’s fierce strength up front on defense, proved too much to overcome. The Rangers fell 35-7 against the Chieftains, and have not gotten off to the start they had hoped up to this point.

Fourteen seniors highlight a very passionate group of players for the Westborough team. The three senior captains include running back and safety Chris Martin, linebacker Ed Lee, and fullback Jamie Hight

“It’s going to be different this week and beyond,” declares senior captain Jamie Hight when asked about the team’s chances going forward. “We got the full strength of our team on display now.”

Other senior captain Chris Martin commented on his team’s aspirations earlier this week as well.  “We need to have the best week of practice yet,” says Martin after the week two loss to Nashoba. The Rangers will be facing off against one of their rivals in Marlborough this Saturday night. He adds “like a lot of guys, I just want to win.”

Martin is ready to rally his troops to get a potential week three win, one they believe was taken from them last year in a narrow loss.

The Rangers first home game on the brand new turf (if it is deemed ready for spectators) will be September 29 when the Rangers take on Groton-Dunstable at 2pm.

As for this week, come on out and support the Rangers on Saturday night in Marlborough as they search for their first win of the new season!

Photo Credit: Rene Thompson