New England Bows

By Abby McGinn and Mirna Gouhar

Westborough High School’s Kaitlyn Corcoran is quickly emerging as a successful entrepreneur. Corcoran, a junior, sells hand-crafted and fashionable bows online. Her line is currently called New England Bows. Corcoran started learning how to make hand-made bows during her freshman year: “I just kinda went on Youtube and self taught myself,” says Corcoran. Once she mastered the technique she started her own business. Corcoran exclaims, “not a lot of people or places nearby sell really nice hand-made bows, so I thought maybe I could!”

About two years ago Corcoran made her own official website, where she sells the bow designs. Over time, her business has developed as she has acquired more skill in the art of bow-making. Corcoran soon started to sell ribbon bows, and travelled to craft fairs in Hopkinton and Westborough where people became interested in her work.

Corcoran sells bows at $5.00 each. “I think $5.00 is really fair considering both the expenses and the time it takes out of my day”, Corcoran states. Each bow takes six to eight minutes to make, and she also takes time to go to craft fairs. She works completely independently, and pays for her supplies on her own. “If I need money, I will take a loan from my parents, but as soon as I can I pay all of the money back.” Corcoran explains. On average, Corcoran estimates that she sells about 100 bows at each craft fair, where she makes most of the profit.

Currently, Corcoran sells solid and patterned bows. “The solid colored bows are the most popular” explains Corcoran, “mostly because they match many types of clothing.” She creates each bow using alligator clips, wire, glue, and ribbon or fabric. In addition to designing bows for her online store and craft fairs, Corcoran has also designed custom bows for sports teams, including the Hudson field hockey team. She is also working on selling miniature versions of her bows on key chains. New England Bows is thriving, and Westborough High School is proud to have such an innovative student like Corcoran.

For more information, visit Kaitlyn Corcoran’s website and social media pages:

Westsite:    www.newenglandbows.storenvy.com

Instagram:   newenglandbows

Twitter     : @newenglandbows1

View Comments (1)