Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Yik Yak: The Good and The Bad

Yik Yak: The Good and The Bad

By Samantha Mack and Mary Kenyon

“OMG! Did you see that yak last night? It got 250 ups and the yakker should definitely be awarded on the announcements.” Yik Yak, an app where people can post up to 200 characters anonymously, has become the new buzz at Westborough High School. It allows people to connect with each other, all while keeping identities anonymous.

Is Yik Yak bad? The app has stirred up lots of drama among students at WHS, leading to arguments and upset feelings. In addition, people may post hurtful comments about a particular individual and that person will never know who wrote the insults against them.

Is Yik Yak good? Although there are some negative aspects, Yik Yak has overall been a positive contribution to the student body. It has created an atmosphere of a community, where everyone can post freely. Unlike Instagram and Facebook, posts are anonymous, so people can write what they want without the fear of being judged by others. Other towns can also join in on the fun, as the app allows you to see Yaks within a five mile radius, resulting in an even more tight-knitted group of people.

Most importantly, the makers of Yik Yak are against bullying, and have set rules in place to prevent it.

Rules of Yik Yak:

1. You do not bully or specifically target other yakkers.

2. You DO NOT bully or specifically target other yakkers.

3. Zero tolerance policy on posting people’s phone numbers.

4. Don’t clutter people’s feeds with useless or offensive yaks. If you see a useless or offensive yak, make sure to do your part by downvoting or reporting it.

5. If your yaks to be downvoted or reported, you will be suspended.

6. Ride the Yak.

Post away!

View Comments (2)