WHS Freshmen Football Wrap-Up

Last Thursday, with the football season coming to a close, we sat down with freshman football Coach Lorin Reed to discuss this season. With arms folded and a confident grin, Coach Reed discussed with us his feelings about this year’s Frosh team. The best aspect was “the team’s dedication, and unity”; while the worst aspect was the team’s “overall inexperience”. He says that the team is learning to work well together and that they’ve come a long way from where they started.

But in his opinion the team could definitely improve by hitting the weight room more. When asked to compare this year’s freshman team to last year’s freshmen team, he said that they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but this year’s work very well together and didn’t give up. Not to mention having a better record of 2-8-1. Coach Reed is looking forward to seeing the same faces back on the field next year, on the junior varsity team.

At starting left guard and backup linebacker, Brandon “Doner” Hamilton, is a force to be reckoned with. With five years of experience at a Pop Warner level coming into the season, he thought that this year was very different from previous years. He said that freshmen football was “more structured than Red Devils had been, and a heck of a lot more fun”.

Starting wide receiver and safety Robbie “Butt” Butler, who had one year of previous experience on a Westborough Red Devils’ team, thought that the season had gone well. “Although we haven’t exactly had a winning season”, Butler states, “we’ve definitely come a long way from where we were on the first day of practice, so long ago. We started out with so many new guys, who had all never played before, but they practiced and learned and played. And look where they are now.”

The team’s starting quarterback, Zach “Candyman” Mason, also shared his thoughts on the team. “We’ve got a great group of guys to work and play with”, he says, “They all come together as a team every day at 2:45, in dress, in mentality, and in spirit.” This is Mason’s first year playing organized football, but yet he already is recognized as one of the team’s leaders.

So there is definitely some room for improvement. But, even so, not a single one of the eighteen freshmen players left the season without a sense of satisfaction. With their heads held high, the team walked off the field from their last game against Algonquin with but one thought in mind: “We’ll get ‘em next year.”