Boys’ Lacrosse Wins Season Opener

By: Dan Feigelman

Photo Credit: Steve Aronson

A lot has changed for Westborough’s lacrosse program during the off-season.  The Rangers lost long-time head coach, Matt Nofsinger, along with many graduating seniors.  Dean Sudol, the Rangers’ leading scorer for the previous two seasons, and goalie Luke Freitas, are just two of the many harsh losses for the Rangers.  Despite the many losses, the Rangers picked up head coach Tom Baker, who has brought several teams to state championships and was a 2 sport All-American; Coach Baker, his assistant coaching staff, and an abundant amount of returning talent make the Rangers a force to be reckoned with in central Mass this year.

On April 2, Westborough faced off against Wachusett in the season opener.  Westborough started off the game strong and held the early lead throughout the rest of the game.  The Rangers had no trouble handling Wachusett in a game that ended 14-7 in the Westborough’s favor.  A key 5 goal contribution from Tony Cibelli (Sr.) was a major component in Westborough’s victory.   Sophomores Jake Foster and Jack Pierce, as well as juniors Mike Gallo and Connor Joyce, combined to score 8 goals, and were a part of Westborough’s high powered offense.

After winning this game, Westborough starts the season off 1-0; the team’s next game is away on Thursday, April 4, at 4:00 PM against Shrewsbury.