Breast Cancer Girls’ Basketball Tournament 2013

Photo Credit: Steve Aronson

By: Kimberly Woodcock

Over February break, the Westborough Girls’ Varsity Basketball team hosted their 11th annual WHS Invitational tournament. This promoted and raised money for the awareness of breast cancer, and benefiting Play 4Kay. This establishment collaborates with the Women’s College Basketball Association, and the V foundation. People come from far away towns to watch this competitive tournament, which features teams from different parts of Massachusetts including Westborough, Holy Name, Quaboag, and Algonquin.

Entering as the last seed behind other rigorous competition, Westborough knew that they would have to put up a fight, especially against undefeated (18-0) Quaboag. Dominating from the beginning, our girls clinched the game by nearly 20 points. All around resilient performances by Amy Wilichowski (Jr.) and Tori Flahive (Jr.) kept these girls well ahead of their competitor.

Coming off such a strong win, Algonquin seemed like fair competition to Kittredge’s squad. Westborough was unable to pull through, even with a rowdy crowd getting everybody pumped. The game was played at a level of high intensity, even so that Wilichowski received a technical after an intentional shove. Players say it could have been a poor performance by the referees, but Westborough just hasn’t had the ability to pull through this year against the town rival, Algonquin.

Regional school, Algonquin, couldn’t keep up the winning streak. After a solid game against Westborough, they were put back into their place by Holy Name, who ended up clinching the number one spot in the tournament. With a strong performance by their guards, Holy Name has been able to win this annual competition for the second year in a row, an achievement no other team has been able to make. As for the Rangers, they have to face Holy Name this Friday night in their first district game, which will be a highly competitive match.