Coach Kittredge on Baseball

By: Matt Murch
Mr. Scott Kittredge, varsity baseball coach for Westborough High School for the past twelve years, shares information about his past as a baseball enthusiast. As a high school athlete Kittredge was a pitcher and went on to coach every level of baseball from little league to high school.

While coaching high school baseball, his best moments include last year when his team beat Burncoat in the 9th inning bringing WHS to the finals. He also cites another highlight: three years ago during the semi-finals against St. John’s (coincidentally the day his daughter was born).

When asked about his responsibilities as a coach, he states the obvious answers of planning practices, coordinating games, working line-ups, and overseeing lower sub-varsity levels, but also the importance of teaching character and responsibility. Kittredge says that he loves to see students in “another realm”, which he would otherwise miss from the point of view of a teacher.

On the topic of this year’s team, Kittredge says he was encouraged by last year’s amazing season, in which the varsity team worked all the way up to the district finals, and that while the team lost a lot of talent with the graduated seniors, the incoming players will compensate for the loss with their hardworking character and good attitude.