New Year’s Resolutions

Pixabay
Pixabay

Many New Year’s resolutions consist of fitness goals, time management goals, and overall self help goals. Many people look to the new year as a refresher, and an opportunity to better themselves. Here are some New Years resolution ideas for 2024:

1. Exercise

Exercising is not only beneficial for your physical health, but also your mental health. Exercising 3 or more times a week can improve your mood, sleep, strength and more. There are endless activities you can do such as:

• Playing a sport
  • Running
  • Going to the gym
  • Taking a walk
  • Yoga

Any of these activities can improve your health and well being. 

2. Limiting Screen Time

On average teens ages 15-18 spend 7 ½ hours each day in front of a screen according to the CDC. The recommended daily screen time for teens is 2 hours according to allaboutvision.com. Even if you are below the recommended average it is always good to decrease screen time. The new year is a great opportunity to be more mindful about your screen time.  

3. Staying on Top of School Work

Coming back from break students begin to prepare for midterms. This year midterms will be January 18th through the 23rd. The week before midterms students should be studying and staying on top of midterms in order to get good grades this semester. Focusing on school in the new year not only could boost your grades but benefits your education and GPA.

4. Better Budgeting

As high school students holding a job can be difficult with sports, clubs, and academics. However, many students work part- time jobs after school or on the weekends. Kira Meehan, Westborough high school senior, says, “I love making money, but I also love spending it.” Many students feel this way and find that they spend money faster than they make it. To combat this budgeting and finding where you can cut or limit spending can save your bank account. For example, spending less money on Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks can allow you to save money for gas or help you save up for something big.

5. Drink More Water

Drinking water might be an obvious habit, however 3 out of 4 Americans are not properly hydrated according to dripdrop.com. Staying hydrated reduces headaches and increases energy levels. According to health.harvard.edu “the average daily water for men is about 15.5 cups and for women about 11.5 cups.” Increasing your water intake benefits your health in many ways and can make you a happier, healthier person in the new year.

While you are counting down the days until 2024 start thinking about what you can do to improve your health and happiness this year.