Senior Testimonial: Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy '21, Sports Editor

I remember sitting on the gym floor of the high school at basketball camp listening to the counselors talk about their high school experiences, things to look forward to, and things to stay away from. It seemed so far away. We had just gotten our school emails, …[email protected]. Kids asked what the 21 meant and we were told it was our graduation year. It was 2013, I couldn’t have cared less, I had almost another life to live before that point. I’m sitting here now with four days left of high school, wondering where all that time went.

When Covid hit in 2020 I was crushed. I missed out on an entire season of lacrosse, arguably the best season our team could have ever had. Along with that there were the classic high school experiences like prom, junior takeover, and well actually going to school. Now that it’s almost over, I can say it was honestly one of the best years of my life. I only had to go to school two days a week, with minimal work, and got to hang out with my friends for the other five. Can’t complain about that. Not having all my friends at school allowed me to get to know some other kids I wouldn’t normally talk to, and I think that was pretty cool. When everyone came back at the end of March, you could tell how happy everyone was. The energy in the entire building skyrocketed, especially in our journalism class. To Mrs. Stoker and the entire class, thank you for the most fun time I have ever had in school. Nagi, you’re still slow.

Overall, high school didn’t exactly go the way I had expected it to. Going into freshman year I had a big friend group, but year by year I lost them to the private schools. To Sully, JT, Reed, Cam and Luke, you didn’t have to leave me and Keddy behind, but I’m proud of you all for becoming the insane athletes you are, D1 or not. Thankfully it’s easy to make friends at WHS, even if they aren’t in your grade. To the kids in the class of 2020, you know who you are, thank you for adopting me, Keddy, and Sean, and giving us the ‘senior’ year we never got because of Covid. You filled my junior year with memories that will last forever, and I am grateful for that.

Now to the Original Six, you are my boys for life. I’ve never been part of a group who cares so much about each other and has each other’s backs no matter what. You guys have gotten me through some tough times and given me so much throughout the past few years. All the nights in “the chamber” and the trips to Tina’s are unforgettable. Love you boys.

To my brother Matt, I did read your senior testimonial and I want to say thank you for also being my best friend. You made my sophomore lacrosse season the most fun I’ve ever had, and I appreciated all of the assists. We’ve made so many memories over the years I had to follow you to Durham for a couple more years of it. It’s time to make Madbury Road the new Harrison Ave.

I can’t forget about Willie. Thank you for being the coolest guy ever. I love when you get all the brothers together for a hike or dinner. I appreciate you making the trips up from Providence every week to watch my games. You’re always there for me when I need it and give the best advice, even though I don’t always understand your analogies.

Finally, my mom. There are no words to describe how much you’ve done for me. You are the strongest person I know and have gotten me through the worst of the worst. I don’t know how you learned to deal with me and Matt after Dad passed, but you did and you are amazing for that. Thank you for driving me to my hundreds of games over the years and being my number one fan. I’m going to miss you the most next year, but luckily it will be easy to have lunch with your boys whenever you want. Love you.

To WHS and everyone in it, thank you for an amazing four years. I might never see many of you again but I am confident that most of you have given me at least one memory that I will never forget. Blouses.