WHS cheerleader profile: Karla Chavira

Daphnne Cabrera ‘23, Contributing Writer

WHS junior Karla Chavira is a cheerleader who aspires to be a cheer captain for next year.  She values the team’s attitude to improve the team this season. Chavira had always wanted to join cheer ever since her cousin started. She had participated in soccer during her early childhood years but unfortunately had to stop playing due to her appendix removal. Her family supported her idea of starting cheerleading as it was a great sport to get involved in. 

Chavira was born in Framingham, MA and moved to Westborough in the fourth grade. She asserts that Westborough is a good town to live in, and she is glad she tried out for cheer freshman year. 

Chavira states, “The best thing I love about cheer is the positive atmosphere and meeting and becoming friends with new people. Everyone works as a team and helps one another.”

Her main expectation for this year is to work more on stunts as she loves being a flyer. She claims to have seen an improvement from the beginning of the year on cheers and dances. However, Chavira believes that the team can improve much more on stunts as they have only stunted at one game so far. 

Chavira explains that cheer for her has dramatically changed since freshman year due to having more practice flying and learning dances and new cheers. She says that she can tell her motions are much sharper and cleaner in which her memorization has majorly improved. 

Chavira loves cheering at football games and is there to support the football team. The next football game is home on Friday at 3:45 p.m. against Marlborough.