Week of Lights: Time for Rangers to shine in the spotlight

By:  Domenic Casparriello and Matt Doherty

As the weather changes and the leaves start to fall, Westborough High School holds its annual Week of Lights week on the turf. The week of October 17 marks the start of a special time for the town, as students, fans, and players alike all enjoy a unique experience of playing a home game under temporary lights.

Games will take place starting on Tuesday, October 17 and ending Friday, October 20. The atmosphere is bound to be electric for every game with kids of all ages rushing to WHS to cheer on their favorite student athletes.

Week of Lights kicks off with a Tuesday night game featuring the currently 5-1-3 Westborough boys soccer team against Nashoba. Be sure to watch out for seniors Thomas Vondervellen, a hard nosed striker, Tyler Stott, a sturdy defenseman, and Matty Morin, a rock solid goalie. Also expect junior striker Jake Hughes to continue to attack the net as he has had great success scoring goals in his junior season. Led by Coach Hillier, the soccer team expects to make a huge run this postseason as well.

When asked about how to balance excitement of the lights with focus for the game, Hughes said, “I am very excited as it’s something we look forward to every year. No doubt the atmosphere and excitement will help us play better, and make for a great night…”

That game will be followed up on Wednesday when field hockey (2-5-2) battles Groton-Dunstable. Look for senior Lindsey Bromm to contribute on both sides of the field given her athletic ability and position at midfield. Senior forward Cassidy Sams also will look to have a big night for the Rangers, be sure to tune in for a high scoring matchup given Coach Chenevert’s aggressive mindset.

Bromm is looking forward to playing Week of Lights.

“I’m really excited to play Week of Lights this year,” she said. “It’s going to be a great experience for the whole team, especially because we are full of young players who haven’t had this fun opportunity before.”

Not to be overlooked, 10-1 Westborough girls volleyball also takes on Shrewsbury that same night at home. Last year’s league MVP and senior Emma Smallcomb will lead her young core of teammates against a tough Shrewsbury team. When asked about her feelings of WHS lights week, Smallcomb said, “It’s an awesome week for the entire town. Even though volleyball doesn’t obviously play out there, as a fan it’s an awesome experience. ” Look for Coach Anderson to be sharp throughout, and expect lots of kills by junior Lexi Austin.

Thursday’s matchup will also be a great game, as WHS girls soccer faces off against Grafton in a rivalry game. Seniors Claire Hounslow and Skylar Barry are tearing apart the league and leading the Rangers this season to a so-far exciting record of 6-3-2. Coming off some tough losses, Coach Mumby will have to preach short memory to his team.

When asked about the atmosphere of Week of Lights, senior defender Emily Burneson replied, “Honestly having a big crowd really hypes us all up knowing people have come to support us and want to see us win really changes the whole atmosphere. Especially the other night against Marlborough when we were down and everyone was still cheering I think that honestly pushed us to scoring last.”

The grand finale is football against Shrewsbury on Friday night. Westborough (2-3) faces  Shrewsbury (4-1). Westborough will have their work cut out for them that night, as Shrewsbury has been on a roll all season long.

Senior quarterback Peter LaMountain will have to have an amazing game throwing the ball to senior wide receiver Sam Lis all night long. Senior cornerback and running back Michael Keough will also have to continue playing well, especially on the defensive side of the ball, where he’s been so successful. Junior Mac Bradley, a kicker and cornerback on the Rangers will be playing in his first Week of Lights game at the high school.

When asked about it, Bradley said, “We need the crowd to be loud! We are all gonna play as hard as we can to get this win. We know how important it is.”

Coach Tinglof and company need the support of everyone on a sure-to-be rowdy Friday night.

Week of Lights week is such a special week for all of the Westborough Community, and it is an amazing opportunity for everyone to come together.

Week of Lights Schedule

Tuesday, October 17, 7 p.m. Boys soccer vs. Nashoba

Wednesday, October 18, 4 p.m. Girls field hockey vs. Groton-Dunstable

Wednesday, October 18, 5:15 pm Girls volleyball vs. Shrewsbury

Thursday, October 19, 7 p.m. Girls soccer vs. Grafton

Friday, October 20, 7 p.m. Football vs. Shrewsbury