Undefeated Girls’ Lacrosse Looks Ahead

Courtesy: Kelly Burneson Photography

By Carly Flahive and Jeff Arnold

Courtesy: Kelly Burneson Photography
Courtesy: Kelly Burneson Photography

A perennial district championship contender, the Westborough Girls’ Lacrosse team is enjoying another fine season. Currently standing at 12-0, the team is led by senior captains Olivia Harwood, Carter Bromm, and Sarah Bracey. Much like in years past though, it is not the seniors that separate the Rangers from their competition. Instead, the supporting cast behind Harwood, Bromm, and Bracey push them to the top.

Juniors Olivia Weckwerth and Nicole Foster are the two highest point getters on the team with 57 and 53, respectively. Although the upperclassmen are leading the way, underclassmen are proving themselves as integral members of the team..

Freshman Chloe Goebel is one of those important members of the supporting cast. Following in the footsteps of older sister Sabrina Goebel, Chloe has proven to be a valuable asset to a deep Rangers squad.

“Chloe has scored the winning overtime goals against both Groton-Dunstable and Bromfield, two of our toughest competitors so far,” says Harwood. “She’s quick and smart with the ball and she’ll only get better throughout her high school career.”

Contributing 9 goals and 3 assists so far this season, the future looks bright for the team.

For Harwood, Bromm, and Bracey, however, the future is of no importance. All returning starters, the group experienced regular season success with postseason failure last season. Despite winning the league title, the team lost early in the playoffs falling to eventual state champion Longmeadow 16-6 in the District Semi-Finals. As the team stands undefeated Harwood looks ahead in hopes of avenging last year’s loss.

“It’s huge to still be undefeated with only 4 games left in our regular season and it puts us in a really good spot for district seatings. Our JV team is also undefeated which is amazing. Our last three games in the regular season are against Groton-Dunstable, Grafton, and Hopkinton which will all be really tough games but I have no doubt we can finish the regular season undeated. We’re close to clinching the League title for the second year in a row and this could be our year to win Districts.”