The Voice Behind the Curtain: Mrs. Greer Espinosa

The+Voice+Behind+the+Curtain%3A+Mrs.+Greer+Espinosa+

By Lindsey Bromm and Sarissa Volin

If you have ever traveled down the ‘D wing’ at Westborough High School, you’ve undeniably heard or seen the peppy chorus teacher, Mrs. Greer Espinosa. With her constant smile and her contagious laughter, Greer’s passion for her job is known throughout the school. The list of things this lady can do is endless; from being musically talented to an adventurous mountain biker, Greer is always engaged in various activities.

Before becoming the musician she is today, Greer was an ambitious student with a passion for music. She grew up in a close family with her biggest role models (her parents Raymond and Karen Greer) and her older brother (Nathaniel), right outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her parents were always supportive of her love of music and encouraged her to pursue it. “I remember really battling with the ideas like ‘Do I really want to go into music?’ but I was lucky in the sense that my parents said, ‘of course you do, you’ve been doing music since you were three years old, it’s what you really want to do,” she says. To this day she knows that her family is one of the main reasons that she is where she is now.

As a child, Greer wanted to be an author of children’s books, but started out with her first job as a waitress at TGI Fridays. Later in life, she realized what was really important to her, music. As a child, she learned to play piano, oboe, and was a member of her church’s choir. In high school, Greer was very academically driven, placing in the top 5% of her grade out of 650 students. The extracurricular activities she was involved in all revolved around music; she was a member of the marching band, the jazz band, symbonic band and the chorus.

As Greer’s life continued she always followed her gut and what felt right for her future. She attended The Boston Conservatory, where she majored in vocal performance as an undergraduate and later earned her Master’s in Music Education. During her introduction to college she remembers a professor saying, “If you can imagine yourself doing something other than music and that would make you happier, you should leave school now and go do it”. This quote really sticks with her to this day because going into her career path she knew that her future wouldn’t be easy. She knew there would be some downfalls to her job, including working long hours, but she persevered because she knew that it was what was best for her. She says “In the end, money isn’t what makes you happy.” With this in mind, she took a chance and started to pursue her passion.

While in college, she experienced all different aspects of music; such as, collaborating with composers and performing as a soloist different styles of music for large crowds. After graduating college, Greer was able to visit what became her favorite place, Salzburg, Austria. Later, she was a student teacher for elementary  music classes in Wellesley, MA.

After spending the last four years working at Westborough High School, Greer has become a student favorite. Her favorite part of her job here is working with the students. Along with always being active in the classroom, Mrs. Greer is able to manage four choirs and many a cappella groups. Mrs. Greer has been able to effect the daily lives of students as the Director of Choral Music with her  “dedicated, loving, and quirky” personality.

When not teaching, Greer enjoys cooking and baking, which she considers to be one of her hidden talents, along with doing make-up on others. She also enjoys staying fit by hiking or going mountain biking. Now, she lives in Framingham, Massachusetts with her husband, Allan. A fun fact about Greer is that her spirit animal is a horse because they are powerful and so is she. If she could say one thing to all the students of WHS she would say, “Always remain open to possibility and opportunity”.

View Comments (2)