Boys’ Golf Captures League Title

By Jeff Arnold

Sophomore Jon Rodenbush
Courtesy: Daily News and Wicked Local staff photo/Marshall Wolff

Boys’ Golf won their second straight League Tournament yesterday, October 15, at Cyprian Keyes Golf Club in Boylston, MA. Senior Jeff Arnold led the way, medaling with a score of 78. Sophomores Jon Rodenbush and Kevin Ji had an 86 and 85, respectively, and senior Cailean Duckett came in with an 86. Altogether it was a 7 shot victory for the Rangers, who totaled 337.

This victory comes on the tail end of another successful regular season. The team went 11-0-1 in league play and finished as Midland-Wachusett B champions for the fourth straight year. Although they struggled out of league, they still will advance to the District Finals.

Before the season there were doubts about how the team would fare. The squad lost 6 of their top 8 players to graduation and had a crop of inexperienced underclassmen thrust into key positions. Luckily for the Rangers, freshmen Ryan French, Ryan Nichols, and Kevin Flahive rose to the occasion and all recorded winning match play records and routinely were difference makers in close matches.

Next up for the golf team is the District Tournament at Blackstone National Golf Club in Sutton, MA on Tuesday, October 20. If the team afinishes in the top 3, they will advance to the State Finals. Good luck Rangers!