Support a Special Someone: Katie Atchue

Atchue and parents walk track for first annual Walk and Roll for BIA-MA

By Carly Flahive

Fifteen years ago, when Westborough resident Katie Atchue was just 9 years old, she suffered a brain injury caused by an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) rupture in her cerebellum. Putting her in a coma for months and leaving her with balance struggles, a feeding tube, as well as short term memory, Atchue has persevered to make her life the best she possibly can with the challenges she has been faced. Communicating to others through her dynavox, Atchue continues to interact with others, hold a job, and put smiles on the faces of everyone around her.

Such a remarkable young lady, Atchue has taken her appreciation for all the help she has received throughout her recovery, and is now looking to give back to the many people who have helped her. Looking to hopefully raise money for the Brain Injury Association, Atchue has created her own team, Katie’s Angels, with the ultimate goal of raising $1,000.

September 27, Atchue along with family and friends, will be taking part in the Brain Injury Association Walk and Roll that will take place at Framingham State University. Atchue is asking everyone for their support so she can have the opportunity to give back to the organization that has helped her drastically with recovery.

Giving her the opportunity to volunteer, work with other brain injury survivors, and give back, Atchue remarks, “They make me feel important and show me that I can be a productive member of my community.”

After going through such a tragic experience and coming out of it as happy as she is, Atchue is ready to receive all the support that she can get as she prepares for her walk in a few weeks.

Please consider helping brain injury survivor, Katie Atchue, reach her goal of $1,000 by either registering to walk with her team, Katie’s Angels, or simply making a donation under her team. Good luck to Atchue as she makes her laps around the Framingham State track September 27.

Registration Link to join Katie’s Angels Team: http://www.biama.org/walk

To make a donation to MIA under Katie’s team, Katie’s Angels, please visit: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/katie-atchue-1/