Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Westborough Education Foundation Awards Grants

Press Release:  A breakfast reception was held Tuesday, May 19 at the Willows to honor the grant recipients for the 2015-2106 academic year.  The Westborough Education Foundation awarded 17 grants totaling over $24,000.   “The Westborough Education Foundation helps propel innovation and creativity throughout the district.  Teachers are so honored to be recognized and supported as they try out their new ideas.”  Daniel Mayer, Ed.D., Assistant Superintendent  Westborough Public Schools.

Grant recipients for the 2015-16 academic year include:

Guest Artist Series:  Five O’Clock Shadow

Gibbons Middle School, Joe Stillitano

Make a Video: Amazing Animated Video Maker –GoAnimate

Gibbons Middle School, Mark McNeil, Julie Leach

Homework Helpers: Free Tutors

Westborough High School, Grace Cheng

Lights! Camera! Action! READ!

Armstrong, Stephanie Stohr

Digital Design in the Visual Arts

WHS, Chris Martin

Ukuleles for the Elementary Music Classroom

Armstrong, Karin Puffer

A Pilot Study in Guided Math: A Framework for Differentiating Math Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Learners

Mill Pond School, Jenny Deane

The Thoreau Commons

WHS, Kathy Stoker and Anita Cellucci

Lego Simple and Motorized Mechanisms

Gibbons Middle School, Jane Borden

WHS Massachusetts Bar Mock Trial Program

WHS, Nick Soutter

Yoga 4 Classrooms IMPLEMENT Leader Training

Hastings Elementary School, Lauren Kennedy and Leigh Becker

Feeding the Learning

Mill Pond School, Sheila Labriola and Diane Maguire

Engaging Reluctant Readers through Readers Workshop

WHS Cheryl Tucker

Equal Voices: Promoting Gender Equality at WHS

WHS Cheryl Tucker and Julie Matson

BioBuilder

Westborough High School, JoAnne Purdy

Poet in Residence

Armstrong,  Kelly White, Pamela Dunne, Patricia Marcus, Virginia Erwin,, Janet Hart, Stephanie Stohr

Annie’s Reading Stars Program Year 2

Fales Elementary School, Maryann Stannard

The Westborough Education Foundation is committed to fostering excellence and innovation in education in Westborough schools.  Each year the Foundation funds grant requests from teachers and administrators for cutting-edge programs benefitting students at all levels. These grants allow teachers and administrators the opportunity to develop and implement innovative programs that are not covered by the regular school budget.  “WEF funding does more than just provide dollars for projects.  It is a process that inspires and rewards creativity and innovation.  The celebratory awarding of a grant from WEF sets in motion new experiences in the classroom for both students and faculty, “ said Amber Bock, Superintendent of Westborough Public Schools.  “The quality and range of grants applications this year speaks to innovation and continual improvement of our curriculum and instruction.”

The money for grants is primarily funded through WEF’s annual fundraiser, The Trivia Bee which will be held November 2, 2015 at 6:30 at the Doubletree Hotel in Westborough. Last year the event raised more than $17,000 to support educational grants to teachers and administrators from across all six of Westborough’s public schools. Another source of funding is the CARE program where parents can make a donation to WEF to honor and celebrate remarkable educators.  As the end of the school year approaches, an easy way to show appreciation for teachers, principals and school staff members is to make a tax-deductible donation to the CARE program.  Information can be found on the WEF website, www.westborougheducationfoundation.com.

The Westborough Education Foundation would like to thank the Willows for their hospitality, as well as the teachers, administrators and parents who work with WEF supporting our mission to help enrich the curriculum and stimulate creative learning opportunities in all of the Westborough public schools. Congratulations to all the grant recipients!

Maureen Johnson, President of WEF said, “The Westborough Education Foundation relies on the generous support of individuals, families, organizations and businesses to help fund grants and provide more resources to our teachers and children.  Your support truly makes a difference for our children.  Thank you! We are fortunate to have such a talented, hard-working staff within our school system, and awarding these grants is one opportunity where we can show our support for their creativity and dedication to the students in our community.  These grants funded by WEF highlight the innovation and quality learning in Westborough public schools.”

Founded in 1997, the Westborough Education Foundation is an independent non-profit organization whose mission is to establish a permanent fund and to allocate funds to stimulate, support and strengthen the creation and implementation of innovative educational programs and enrichment activities which are outside the funding normally provided in the school budget. WEF grants benefit all students in the Westborough Public Schools system.  Since its inception, WEF has awarded over $300,000 in grants that support programs ranging from innovative classroom technologies and curriculum to thought-provoking speakers and performances that benefit students in all grades.  You can see a list of past grants on our website westborougheducationfoundation.com

For more information, visit WEF’s website at www.westborougheducationfoundation.com.