Rangers Sports Update

STEVEN ARONSON
Baseball before the Third Annual Greg Montalbano Classic Photo Credit: Steve Aronson

By Jeff Arnold

Baseball before the Third Annual Greg Montalbano Classic
Photo Credit: Steve Aronson

Outdoor Track
It was another successful year for the Boys’ and Girls’ track teams. At the MIAA Divisional Meet on Satruday, May 31, the Boys finished 14th, while the girls also recorded a top 20 finish, ending in 16th. Juniors Alana Moberg (Pole Vault) and Melissa Sullivan (hurdles) and senior Charlie Burress (Javelin) will compete this coming Saturday, June 6, at the State meet.

Girls’ Golf
After losing no. 1 player Anna Ouyang early in the season, the team overcame this adversity to finish with a 7-6 record. Standing at 3-5 early in May, the girls rattled off wins in four of their last five matches. Thanks to a third place finish at the District tournament, the team will compete for a state title on Tuesday, June 9, at Wentworth Hills Golf Club in Plainville.

Boys’ Lacrosse
Led by seniors Jake Foster, Jack Pierce, and Jake Srebnik the Boys’ Lacrosse team had another solid season. Although they lost their final two regular season games, the team finished 11-5, good enough for the no. 7 seed in the Central/Western Mass Division 2 tournament. The team fell in the first round, however, losing at home to Minnechaug.

Girls’ Lacrosse
After starting the season 12-2, the Girl’s Lacrosse team dropped their final two games entering the postseason. This should not be an issue, however, as the squad has playoff experience and is poised to make another deep run in the postseason. They won their first round playoff game against Northampton. The second round match up has not yet been announced.

Boys’ Tennis
Boys’ Tennis has been a traditionally strong sport here at WHS and this year was no different. The team went undefeated and every player in the Central Mass. Individual Tournament finals was a Ranger. The season is not over yet however as sophomore Sumukh Pathi will look to lead the team to a State Championship. The boys are the #2 seed in the playoffs and, after beating Shrewsbury in the first round, will play Tuesday, June 9 in the Sectional Semifinals.

Girls’ Tennis
Captains Alexa Conlin (Junior), Lauren Almy (Junior), and Vaishali Malik (Senior) led the Girls’ team to another winning record, finishing 9-7. The team stood at .500 through 12 matches but finished strong winning three of their last four. After winning their first round match against Marlborough, the girls fell 4-1 to Nashoba in the Sectional Quarterfinals.

Baseball
Perhaps the most surprising team this spring was the baseball team. After a miserable 2014 season, the team will return to the postseason next Monday, June 8, against rival Algonquin. Junior Dan Lis led the pitching staff tossing two shutouts in his last three games including one against Hudson to qualify for the playoffs.

Softball
Although the team finished with a 5-15 record, there were positives to be taken from an overall struggle of a season. The team is young and should improve in the coming years, especially behind the stoic leadership of Coach Rota.