WHS Students Attend LCA Conference

On Wednesday, April 1, WHS students involved in the Journalism program attended the 11th annual Lights, Camera, Action Conference at Millis High School. Participating in  workshops and panels, the day included appearances from local media personalities and other people involved in the film and media industry.

The day started with a Film Festival consisting of short features made by visiting schools. After that students attended one of a wide variety of workshops hosted by different film and news industry members. Among those who led workshops were Yadires Nova-Salcedo (Host/Producer, WBZ), Jared Bowen (Arts & Entertainment Editor, WGBH), Yvonne LaBarge (Indie Film Director), and Pete Harkey (Season Four Survivor Cast Member). Later in the day attendees listened as NESN’s Elle Duncan (Anchor of NESN Live), TJ Hourigan (Reporter from NESN Clubhouse), and Sara Rose Kantrowitz (Producer) talked about their experiences in television and their rise in the TV industry. The students were then treated to a Skype Q&A with Chris Koch. Koch, a Melrose, MA native, is a director whose credits include ABC’s Modern Family and Galavant.

About the conference,  junior Carly Flahive stated, “It was really fun. I was surprised by how much I learned and feel like it was a good experience for all of us. It was interesting to see how other journalism programs around the state run and feel like we can improve ours based on what we saw…It was rewarding.”