Westborough Girls’ Basketball Continues to Improve

Photo Credit: Kelly Burneson

By Carly Flahive

The girls’ varsity basketball team has struggled with this rebuilding year. With a current record of 3-8, and just nine games remaining in the season, post season for the Rangers does not look too promising.

Junior captain Julie Hutchinson has led the team with 94 points and is followed by sophomore Haley Brown, 79, and freshman Melissa Mitrovich, 78.

Friday night, Nashoba took down Westborough in a blowout game, winning 66-28. The Rangers had trouble getting shots off when they had the opportunity. Junior Captain Kaylie Doherty mentions, “Our team has definitely improved as the season has gone on and we are starting to work well as a team, but we still have to build on our confidence.”

Although Westborough has been putting up more points as the season has progressed, they still many players who need to build their confidence and not be afraid to take that open shot.

With the young team that the Rangers have to work with this season, confidence and communication are huge components that go into making the year successful. Having no seniors on the team and five freshmen, Westborough works every practice and game on making the team chemistry click. With a great group of girls, a lot of the results stem from nerves getting to the younger players who are playing for their first year on varsity.

Freshman Tess Garrity suggests, “As a team, we need to be more careful with our passes and play with confidence that we have the ability to win.” As a first year varsity player, Garrity expresses, “I enjoy being able to play with older teammates. Being one of the younger players on the team, I learn a lot and improve because I am playing with girls who already have experience playing at the varsity level.”

Going into the season aware that the team was going to be new, Westborough knew that they had a lot of work ahead of them. “With a new team and playing with a new group of players, having to learn each other’s style of play while figuring out the offense and defense at the same time is challenging” Garrity explains. “Even just next year, going into the season knowing the plays and what our teammates strengths are will make us that much better” Garrity adds.

With more games to come, the Rangers hope to get a few more wins under their belt before the season concludes. Come support the team this Friday, January 30 at 6pm home against North-Middlesex.