Dadzie Volunteers in Kentucky

Dadzie+Volunteers+in+Kentucky+

By:  Nick Graham and David Beliveau

Sophomore Kofi Dadzie decided to take initiative this summer. While many others slept in and relaxed by the pool, Dadzie was waking up at the break of dawn and giving back to those in a less fortunate community.

On July 14,  Dadzie and many other volunteers associated with the First United Methodist Church and Saint Luke’s Parish departed Westborough on a two day van ride to the back hills of Letcher County, Kentucky. This adventure is known as the Appalachian Service Project, or commonly known as ASP. ASP is a volunteer mission to make depressed homes “warmer, safer, and drier.” Dadzie would spend the next week and a half of his summer bonding and working with a family who had close to nothing.

”When I got there it was nothing like Westborough, or any other place I have ever been,” comments Dadzie.  Letcher County is known for its small population and coal mining industry. The median income per house hold averaged around $30,000, $20,000 less than the national median income. Also, one in four people within Letcher County live under the national poverty level, a mere 7% higher than other parts of Kentucky  (quickfacts.census.gov).

“Many of the families lived in mobile homes, shacks, and broken down houses, it was eye opening to see what these people had compared to those in Westborough,” remarks Dadzie.

Dadzie’s primary mission while in Letcher County was to build a laundry room and deck for the Maggard family. Although Dadzie spent most of his time working, there were moments of sincere bonding.

Dadzie immediately connected with the locals because one of his many hobbies which included rap and hip-hop. The family he worked with were fans of rap music.

Dadzie plans on staying in touch with the Maggard family as well as taking another trip with ASP.  Dadzie concludes, “It was a great experience.  I can’t wait to go again.”