WHS Alum: P.E., Health and Wellness teacher Coach Reed

by: Erin Doyle and Sara Anderson

As a Ranger Alum, WHS Health, Wellness, and PE teacher Coach Reed recalls his high school years.  He was your average high school student: football player, club member and a mediocre student.  And at the same time, Coach Reed still found time to enjoy his high school experience.

Coach Reed attended Keene State in New Hampshire to major in Health Science, particularly fitness and promotion. Since he was a kid, Coach Reed always knew he wanted to be a teacher and thought it “would be a dream to come back and teach at WHS”. After earning his masters in Health Education at Cambridge College, Coach Reed returned to WHS as a student teacher for Health teacher Mrs. Brown.

As a teacher, Coach Reed realized that he was really naïve as a student and it opened up his eyes that people go through the day with a lot of stuff on their plate. This realization inspired his values which consist of hard work in the classroom and keeping the integrity of the game on the field. His number one value on and off the field, respect, was given to him here as a student as well.

Coaching a team he once played for and teaching at the high school he attended is really special to Coach Reed.  He says, “I have the attachment from being a player here; it’s always going to hold a special place with me. I guess I’m just really lucky”.

From when Coach Reed attended WHS until now, WHS  has gone through some major physical changes but overall, it has upheld its morals and values. Coach Reed comments, “Westborough has always been a really, really good school. It really prepares you academically for college”.

Even though he could have tried a little harder during his high school years, Coach Reed’s  first semester in college was fairly easy.  Taking Anatomy and Physiology he did not have to take notes at all because he already knew all of the information from WHS. Amazed, Coach Reed was thankful he went to Westborough High.

As a product of WHS, Coach Reed’s advice for students is, “To succeed at WHS: get involved in a variety of different things but do not overcommit. Enjoy the time that you have and make the most of it. Don’t overload but definitely put yourself in a position to be challenged”.