Rangers for a Cure

By Carly Flahive

Rangers for a Cure is a new club for this 2013-2014 school year with an overall mission of “supporting those affected by cancer, to raise money for cancer research, and to spread awareness for all types of cancer”. Juniors Elizabeth Gallary and Grace Taylor came up with the idea for the club at the end of their sophomore year. Taylor has since moved to Canada leaving Gallary as the sole founder of the new club,hoping to make it a success.

Gallary, President, has a large group of peers who stepped up to assume officer positions. Katie Bretta, Vice President, expressed her eagerness for the upcoming year. “I am really looking forward to help run this club and we are all really excited about how many students we have signed up. We hope that we can provide support for cancer patients and their families in our community, spread awareness of all different types of cancer, and raise money for cancer research. We hope to accomplish our goals during our upcoming events which include visiting Sherry’s House, a cancer home for young children and their families, and the dig pink fundraiser.”

Rangers for a Cure plans to hold fundraisers to raise money for donation to organizations supporting breast cancer, leukemia, lung cancer, brain cancer, and more. Some of the organizations that the club plans to donate money to include: The American Cancer Society, St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Sherry’s House. Club members will also be making trips to visit cancer patients in hospitals or other cancer homes.

The club began their mission this past summer of 2013 by volunteering their time at the Westborough Farmer’s Market to sell sand art. The table was set up by officers of Rangers for a Cure. Members of the club helped young children make their own sand art creation for just one dollar. Some people without children were generous enough to make donations. With motivated students and a generous Westborough community, Rangers for a Cure will hopefully make a considerable impact on the lives of others.