Born To Teach: Mr. Luke Foley

By:  Alex Benoit and Raj Somasundaram

“He is all knowing and can mow the grass with his eyes,” says WHS English teacher Mr. Perryman about Mr. Luke Foley. Mr. Foley is a retired English teacher who is now well known around Westborough High School as a substitute teacher. Though retired, Mr. Foley says he still loves full-time teaching to the substitute work because of connections he can make with students.

Mr. Foley’s passion for teaching and helping students comes from many different sources. His greatest inspiration was a college professor he had, Edward Callahan. Callahan taught at Holy Cross College where Mr. Foley graduated from with a degree in English. He also went to graduate school for English but before that he attended Assumption Prep for his high schools years which he recalls as a great experience. All of these pieces combined with the fact that many of his family members are teachers led him to acquire his first job as a teacher at Assumption Prep.

Mr. Foley continued the tradition which was also followed by his children. His son, Mr. Jack Foley, was the one of the assistant principals here at the high school before becoming principal at Gibbons Middle School. His other son, Will Foley, is now the principal at Burncoat High School in Worcester. Mr. Foley says that he is very proud of his sons for their accomplishments and following in his footsteps.

Currently, Mr. Foley has a part time job at Pirate’s Cove, a mini-golf course, down at the Cape where he takes care of their garden. Gardening is one of his hobbies, along with photography. Though an avid reader, he does not consider reading to be a hobby, but claims it is “of the essence”. When asked if he had any advice for new teachers, Mr. Foley simply said “Find your voice, everyone has their own style.”