The College Application Stress: Does it get any Easier after Applications are Submitted?

pixabay.com
pixabay.com

With most of the college deadlines having passed, seniors now must spend the next few months patiently waiting for the life changing emails they will receive.

It most definitely is a stressful time. As all the work is done, it now is a matter of “was my application good enough?” and “am I even good enough for this school?”, in addition to constantly checking the many portals. 

When comparing the process of filling out college applications versus waiting for them, I thought; which aspect of the college process causes more anxiety among my peers?

There are two different stressors in the situation, one being the actual work that goes into making the applications perfect, and the other is the mental strain that goes with waiting for the decisions.

After having WHS seniors complete a survey regarding this question, 66% of students stated that they felt more anxiety and stress from the actual process of submitting applications, whereas 34% of seniors say the time period of waiting causes more mental strain. 

Personally, I have found the waiting more stressful, because now I have no control and simply have to wait, in hopes that my applications were good enough. The pressure of reflecting on my four years and thinking I should have done more activities and If only I took higher level classes, has driven many of my peers and I insane these past few months. Being someone who is impatient, this has been a very long two months full of anxiety.

Despite the various responses, it is important for all to remember that no matter what schools you do or do not get into, everything will work out in the end. It’s important to keep in mind that  it’s not where you go to college that matters most, it’s what you make of your time there. 

Best of luck to all seniors as the college application process continues!