WHS Choral and Orchestral Winter Concert: A Great Way to Celebrate the Holidays

On Tuesday, December 19th, at 7:00 p.m, Westborough High School’s Fine Arts department will be hosting their annual winter concert. The concert features the Concert, Chamber, and Symphony Orchestras, as well as the Mixed Chorus, Soprano Alto Chorale, and Concert Choir. Each of the above ensembles will showcase 2-3 pieces of music, including some seasonal selections.

Preparing for this month’s concert certainly takes a lot of effort. Orchestra teacher Kristin Chartier mentions that, “All of the ensembles have been working really hard to prepare for this performance.”

Chartier explains that a usual orchestra rehearsal consists of a warmup, followed directly by practice with the concert music. With that said, learning a new piece of music is a tedious process. Students begin by focusing on just one section of music at a time before putting the song altogether. As the orchestra is nearing their concert date, they are putting the final touches on their selections. “We’re getting close to being performance ready, so we’re working more on dynamics, phrasing, balance and doing a lot of run throughs,” Chartier includes.

When asked which piece Chartier is most excited for, she explains that there is so much music to choose from that it is difficult to decide. However, the Symphony Orchestra will be performing a selection from The Nutcracker which she is looking forward to.  In addition, elementary school strings teacher Ms. Clemans will be performing a solo as a part of the concert that Chartier expresses excitement for. 

Admission for the WHS Choral and Orchestral Winter Concert is free! Any students and staff looking for a festive way to celebrate the holiday season, all while supporting the talented WHS student body, should mark their calendars for December 19th.