Spirit and Success: McKenzie Kaminski on WHS Cheer

The WHS Cheer team had a record-breaking season. From supporting the Rangers from the sidelines at football games to competing in their first competition in many years, the 2023 season is certainly memorable. Much of the team’s success was thanks to their two captains, McKenzie Kaminski and Ava Goulet. Junior Kaminski spoke a little more about the season.

“Cheering this year felt different from other years because the football team was so successful,” says Kaminski. “watching the football team improve helped us have a better spirit when going to the games.” Both teams seemed to benefit from the other’s success, as the football team won their league, and had the opportunity to compete in a competition for the first time in many years. Kaminski noted that the team didn’t “necessarily do anything, in particular, to make the football team more successful, but we did cheer louder and more than we have in the past. Our spirit was high this whole season and we are very happy with how far everybody came.”

To prepare for games, the team practices two days a week, working on stunts, jumps, and sideline cheers. Kaminski also mentioned the benefits of getting ready together on game days. “Getting ready together has always been a super fun part of the full game day experience and a good form of team bonding,” says Kaminski.

The Cheer team got the opportunity to compete this season, something they have not done in many years. Kaminski considered it “a good learning experience for everyone so that in the future we can improve and be more successful.” The team hopes to be able to compete again in the future.

The football team appreciates all of Cheer’s hard work this season. Senior captain Joe Marino thinks that sideline cheer “really completes the game day atmosphere.” He said, “It was great to have support from Cheer both on and off the field, and I think lots of football’s success this season was thanks to them.”

Kaminski hopes to continue to grow the WHS Cheer program in years to come. Next season she is  “most excited about meeting new teammates and working together with old ones.” She also can’t wait for “next year’s competition so we can show everyone how much we have improved.”

If you are interested in joining the Cheer team for next season, reach out to McKenzie Kaminski or Ava Goulet. The WHS Cheer team is definitely one to watch!