Dig Pink 2023: A Night to Remember

Dig Pink
Dig Pink

On Friday, October 20th, the volleyball program took on their 14th annual Dig Pink versus Melrose High School match here at home. October is the month for Breast Cancer Awareness, with pink being the most prominent symbol.

“Dig Pink” is the Volleyball program’s way of raising awareness, as well as giving back to the community for the month of October. All of the teams’ earnings go directly to Cancer research! Dig Pink is a part of a national movement in volleyball, which has raised millions. Westborough alone has raised over $51,000 since 2009. 

On the day of the game, all players report to the gym after school to begin setting up. The gym gets decorated with signs and streamers everywhere, dressing the gym in pink. Parents, players, and coaches all were encouraged to bring pink-colored snacks to sell as well. 

We talked to volleyball player Samatha Norman, about her thoughts on the night. 

“It was my first Dig Pink with Westborough Volleyball, and it was so powerful to be a part of. We all were able to dress up and show our support for this event. The team played well as a whole, and it was so moving to be a part of something so big and important to so many people. I look forward to next year already, and was overwhelmed by how much our community bonded together over the event.”

At the end of the evening; after the match, there was a ceremony to recognize cancer survivors we have lost, and cancer survivors in attendance. Over 10 survivors were in attendance, who all got a rose and a picture with some of the players on the Varsity Volleyball team. 

We talked to a spectator of the ceremony, Nate White. 

“I showed up late, but I was still able to catch the ceremony. I think that is a really great thing that the program does, and I am happy to have witnessed it. The game was fun, and the win was good, but the student section was electric.”

In total, the program raised over seven thousand dollars in total, which was a new record! Usually, the program does not make over five thousand dollars, so this jump was huge for the community as a whole. 

Leading up to the match there was a link to donate in each player’s Instagram bio, and the same link was sent around to many people throughout the community. People were extremely generous with their donations, but the real magic happened on the night of the ceremony, where over two thousand dollars was raised in the gym alone. 

Dig Pink is a memorable night for all of the Westborough Community and we are excited to continue to see the growth of the night and all that it accomplishes!