Into the World of WHS’s Model United Nations Club

Logo for the WHS Model UN Club

Model United Nations (MUN) is a new club at WHS for the 23-24 school year. Previously, there was a Model UN club at WHS; however, it dissolved years ago. A group of students have enlisted new advisors (Profe Shah and Ms. Corsa) and restarted the club with high hopes.

What is Model UN?

Model UN is a simulation of the United Nations, where students take on the roles of delegates from different countries and engage in debates to attempt to solve real-world issues from the perspective of their assigned country. These debates are usually done in groups of at least two people as it allows for a balanced experience when sharing ideas. 

To practice, the club holds its own small debates as it helps prepare for conferences. Conferences for Model UN can range from local events such as the Saint John’s Model UN Conference, to a state-level event such as the UMass Lowell Crisis Conference, or even a national conference such as the New York National Conference. 

Why join Model UN?

Participating in Model UN allows students to explore international issues, develop public speaking skills, and understand challenges faced globally. The conferences that the club attends also enable students to network and build relationships with people from other towns and states. 

How does Model UN work?

During the club meetings, officers and students work together to create a plan about a specific topic. This usually involves researching a specific global issue and practicing in debates with other members. Later in the year, the club hopes to bring in guest speakers to help educate the students from a professional standpoint. 

Currently, the Model UN club is preparing for the UMass Lowell Crisis Conference. The first task is to research the case and pick a country to represent. In this debate, the team speaks as though they are supporting that country. Those groups work together to create a resolution to address the issue in a peaceful manner. 

Who can join Model UN?

Model UN is open to all students who are interested. Absolutely no prior knowledge is necessary, just an interest to learn. 

Get Involved!

The club meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 2:40 PM in room B211 (Ms. Corsa’s room). If you are interested in joining, email [email protected] and sign up on Family ID.

For recent updates on Model UN, follow their Instagram @wboromodelun