WHS Cheer Team Takes on Upcoming Football Season

WHS Cheer Team

With the football team starting their season earlier this month, the WHS cheer squad is also in full swing, bringing an air of enthusiasm and dedication to the school grounds. The spirited group, captained by Juniors, Ava Goulet and Kenzie Kaminski, are gearing up for their first home-field appearance on Friday, September 22nd.

The more seasoned members of the squad have been steadfast supporters of the football team for the past three years, unwaveringly cheering them on through huge wins and sadly, a string of challenging seasons, ending in a losing record.

Even with these hard losses the cheer team has stayed optimistic, and there is hope that this season will have a much more favorable ending.

Goulet commented, “I think it’s just really important to keep the energy up, it goes a long way.”

With the energy from the cheer team and from the stands, the cheer team has high hopes for having an amazing season.

“The team has improved a ton compared to last season, our first game was really close, only losing by one point. Which I think is helping the team to have much higher spirits and it has given them more confidence,” Kaminski explains.

Over the summer the cheer team has spent a lot of time working on new stunts, allowing them to have advanced their skills since last season.

Although the team has lined up some fresh stunts, they have said that they will be sticking with the same 39 cheers that have become tradition after many years of use.

When asked about their experience as junior captains, the duo stated, “We love it, it’s so much fun, we like being creative with the new stunts and helping to teach the freshman the cheers.”

The captains are extremely proud of their team and are eagerly anticipating their first competition on November 5th, hosted by Marlborough. With their determination and infectious spirit, the WHS cheer team is undoubtedly ready to cheer on the WHS football team.