The Island that makes you Shutter: A review on the film “Shutter Island”

“Shutter Island” is one of the most entertaining movies that has come out in years. From the second it starts to the second it finishes, you are on the edge of your seat. It pulls you in so much that when the ending comes; it really does a number on you.

Without giving the ending away, the key to most of the movie is understanding the details. If you know the director, then you know that every little detail matters. Martin Scorsese is a stickler for details and all of his characters are exact replicas of whomever he is trying to create.

From the second Teddy Daniels (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) steps into Ashecliff Hospital for the criminally insane, you know things aren’t what they seem. He seems uneasy about the place and it stinks of a conspiracy.

The premise of the movie is that Daniels and his partner (who are both U.S. Marshals) are sent to Ashecliff to investigate the disappearance of one of the patients. She is considered an extremely dangerous patient because of the crime she committed to land herself in Ashecliff. She drowned all three of her children and convinced herself that she never did it.

As the marshals search for her, the weather gets worse and worse as a hurricane attacks the island. The weather seems to have a correlation with the search. The crazier the weather, the crazier and more complex up the search gets.

The movie is based on the novel by Dennis Lehane that came out in 2003. Scorsese apparently stays true to the book, however, the ending can be perceived in two different ways due to the mysterious last scene and the different clues leading up to it. This movie is an exciting, adventurous story that will entertain you from start to finish. It will be the best return on a ten dollar bill you have gotten in a while.