Senior Testimonial: Haley Welsh: Thank You, WHS

Haley Welsh '19, Co-Editor in Chief

As I sit here writing this, I think back to sophomore year when I read the class of 2017’s testimonials. Senior year seemed so far away at that point, and those students seemed so old, but now I realize how true all the cliches are and that time really does go by faster than you think. One of my best friends’ senior quote is “the days are long but the years are short” and I don’t think there’s any better way to summarize the past four years. Days seemed to drag on, but now it’s hard to believe how quickly four years went by.

The most important lesson I’ve learned over the past four years is that time is precious. No matter what the scenario is – friends, family, academics, athletics – everything will soon enough change. It wasn’t until the end of junior year that I fully appreciated this, but it allowed me to spend senior with the people I love and doing the things that brought me the most joy.

I have been fortunate enough to grow up with such incredible people. I have known some of my best friends since before elementary school; these people have shaped who I am today. I can’t imagine what the past four years, and even longer, would have been like without them. I spent virtually every weekend with them and saw them every day at school. Even if I didn’t have a class with a friend, I could always look forward to the short ten-minute break we have each morning. Although it was just ten minutes, each day we laughed and told stories. We even had to reassure one another after a tough grade, saying colleges wouldn’t see this individual grade. Before I knew it, this hypothetical college was becoming a specific school as applications were completed, and then suddenly it was May 1 and we all knew where we would be spending the next four years. We will all go our separate ways, this has always been inevitable, but it’s hard to believe its happening now, not in the distant future. Time with my friends was precious, and although it will be so hard to say goodbye in August, I wouldn’t have wanted to grow up with any other group of people.

Time with family is also precious. After high school, life at home won’t quite be the same. I’ll be living at school, albeit a half hour away, so the normalcy I feel now will be gone. I won’t come home each day and eat dinner with my family, in my seat at the kitchen table, and discuss our day. I won’t be able to sit with my mom and dog on Sunday morning, wondering how another weekend had gone by so quickly. I won’t be able to go to the grocery store with my dad on Sunday afternoon, buying the same boring food for lunch that week. While time at home is precious, so is time with each family member. Nobody is getting younger so as I try to savor every minute I have left at home, I’ll also take full advantage of each minute I spend with every member of my family. As I learned in my final month of high school, time with loved ones is precious, so take full advantage of the time you have with people you care about.

Over the past four years, I’ve learned how school can actually be enjoyable. While some classes are required, we are fortunate to have so many choices for elective courses. Finding classes that you’re actually interested in can make each day so much more enjoyable. Even finding teachers who you like and taking their classes can be so beneficial. However, time with these people is also precious. I was able to take a class first semester of senior year in a subject I thought I could be interested in. I fell in love with the material, and the teacher knew this. We discussed the material often and I learned so much from him. It made me regret not taking economics classes earlier, however, I knew my time in that course was limited. I went to class each day knowing this is tried to learn as much as I could. Even after the class was over, I still had a teacher I could go to to discuss economics or just life. What I learned from this class, and advice I give to underclassmen, is to find a subject or a teacher you like, and take as many classes about the subject or with the teacher as you can. Even if it’s just a semester, you can learn and grow so much by learning about something you’re passionate about. Time in high school goes by so fast, and there are so many lessons you can learn from the people here. So, take classes you actually want to take, because often the lessons you learn there go beyond the classroom, and beyond Westborough High School.

So, with one week left at WHS, I have a lot to reflect on. To the underclassmen, I say listen to all the cliches, and enjoy every minute of high school. A lot will change after graduation, so enjoy time with your friends, take classes you truly enjoy, and enjoy every minute of life outside of the classroom. I became so close with the people I played sports with and I am forever grateful for the hours and hours I spent in the Fisher Gymnasium playing volleyball or basketball with teammates who became some of my closest friends. Also, enjoy Westborough and the little things about life here. It’s a special town, or “bubble”, and the traditions we have here are so special: rotary runs, the first-day parade, competition day, and so many more make Westborough what it is. As routine as it felt driving down Eli Whitney every morning, slowing down where I knew police waited, it will be a little strange not doing this daily. I spent so many weekends “driving around” or sitting at DQ for hours on end, but this is what made Westborough special. I am so grateful to have grown up in this stupid, wonderful, boring, amazing town and for all the people who helped make me, me. My mom, dad, sister, and best friends have been there for me through everything. My teachers, especially Mrs. Stoker, Mr. Belbin, and Mr. O’Brien, have helped me discover subjects I am passionate about and have taught me lessons that I will use throughout my life. My coaches, including Coach Anderson and Coach Cincotta, have taught me lessons well beyond the volleyball court that have made me a better person. Each of these people has made the good times better and the difficult times easier to deal with, and for that, I am forever thankful.

My grandmother once said as we were watching a sunset, “sunsets hurt”. She meant because of how bright it was, but I like to think of it as a metaphor. Things ending are so sad and difficult to deal with, but they are also beautiful. There are so many great memories to reflect on, and while it’s sad to watch high school end, it’s reassuring knowing the “sun” will rise again. It’s sad to think my time at WHS is ending next week, but I couldn’t be more excited for the next four years of my life.