Week 2 rec ball wrap up; kings will be kings

By: Mohammed Ramzanali

Kings will remain kings until they are dethroned and it looks as if Team Morin isn’t going to be in that position any time soon. With another convincing victory and another Shaw Taylor 20+ point performance, it looks as if Team Morin are the 2014-2015 Golden State Warrior: the team to beat! Alongside Taylor, Ryan Alexander put up some good numbers and has been doing so since the beginning of the season so there is no reason why this team should drop from the #1 spot.

Team Barry, despite what I wrote about them last week, has emerged as one of the better teams in this league. But with Joe Fitzgerald back there they can give Team Morin a run for their money. I’ll keep on saying this till he’s back, they need Fitzgerald and they need his quick. Yeah they are 3-0 and have been dominating so far but they can be even better and they are going to need in the next couple of weeks seeing as their schedule becomes a little bit more challenging.

Hey, Team Meyer welcome to the top 5! This team has been wanting it and they finally got it. Avery Andrews has been the main man for this team but finally Kevin Ji dropped 20 points along side Andrews to pick up another victory for this team. Now all they need is Joey Thompson and Moiz Saqib to step up to the plate and start knocking down shots. If all four players start getting into a rhythm this team can actually give Team Morin and Team Barry a run for their money. Hopefully they can maintain this #3 spot seeing as every team is progressively getting better and better week by week.

Team Smith with an absolutely tough loss to Team Meyer have to reevaluate who is the go to guy on offense. CJ Smith scoring 26 points is very impressive and will be very helpful down the road, plus Ryan Shufflebarger’s 12 points are very much needed on a consistent basis but where was Cord Callahan? This team needs Callahan to show up mentally and score points in the high teens and into the twenties range if this team wants to keep winning. That’s all it comes down to because, like I said before, this is Callahan’s team and he has got to be their week in and week out for this team to stay in the top 5 and make a championship run.

My oh my Team Bersani, what an amazing and surprising run you have had. Going 3-1 and now top 5 team in the league they are the sneakiest team. In my previous article, I mentioned how the sophomore trio and big man Sam Correnti have to find their footing to become a dominant team and they have done exactly that. Ryan Nichols is probably one of the better 3 point shooters in the league along with Ryan French who can shoot and drive and play very well on the defensive side of the ball. Not to mention Nichols and Pete Bersani’s quick hands on defense which cause a lot of loose balls and turnovers. Not to take anything away from them but can we all take a moment and admire Correnti for leaving the bush league type of play at home and becoming the beast we all were expecting. This dude can play and will be able to match up against any other big man in this league. With big games in each of the last three games and slowly getting better and better it will be fun to watch him dominate as the season goes on and on. Hopefully he doesn’t fall off the wagon and dig himself and his team a hole they won’t be able to get out of.

Teams Ruhl and Kelley are making moves by winning two games in a row now. They are trying to establish themselves as being a top 5 teams in this league which they can do easily. Team Khoury, Philbrook and Mac still are in the bottom ranks of the rankings but Team Khoury did come out with a win and that’s a huge morale and confidence booster for them going forward. Team Mac did lose a tough game but they are still finding their rhythm and once seniors Jack Walthall and Ben Horsfall find it, they will be a dominating duo. Team Mac is probably having the roughest of seasons with junior Aidan Burke out with a broken wrist. Hopefully he can come back soon to help Jon Rodenbush and the rest of the team gain a victory soon.