WHS Alum Sarah Masters: Mastering Journalism

Picasa

By Amanda Parsons

article

Sarah Masters, former Lobby Observer editor and Westborough High School graduate is a junior currently attending UMass Amherst College; she took some time to reflect on her high school years.

While attending Westborough High School, Masters took her first Journalism course her freshman year with Mrs. Stoker, a WHS Journalism and English teacher. While in Journalism I, Masters wrote a variety of articles including reviews, feature stories, and interviews. Sophomore year, Masters took Journalism II. “I was able to work with a group to make short videos for feature news stories,” she says.

In her junior year at WHS, Masters became a student intern for Mrs. Stoker. As a writer, Masters helped producing and anchoring stories. Her senior year, Masters became a co-editor of the Lobby Observer alongside fellow senior Stephanie Johnston. “We edited the Lobby Observer site online, wrote and produced articles regularly and anchored both the Ranger Top 5 and Rec Ball show,” mentions Masters.

Although Masters was unable to recall a specific reason as to why she decided to take Journalism I her freshman year, she has always had a particular love for reading and writing. “Journalism seemed like a practical way to use that passion to help educate others and gain a greater understanding of the world around us,” says Masters. “I also was interested in international affairs and travel, and journalism is a great outlet to tap into for both of those as well.”

As a co-editor for the Lobby Observer, Masters enjoyed reading feature articles about teachers and students within the Westborough High School community. She also appreciates writing about other people and learning about their individual stories as well as having the ability to share a connection with those she writes about.

While attending Westborough High School, Masters was also involved with sports teams and after school clubs. She was a part of the girls’ gymnastics team, and participated in the Interact club alongside being a  New Student Ambassador.

After graduating in the spring of 2013, Masters took a journalism class as a freshman at UMass Amherst.  While taking the journalism class in college, she found herself writing day-to-day news articles as well as completing bigger projects that required scheduling interviews, completing interviews, developing questions and writing informative, yet interesting articles individually.

Although she does not plan to continue her career as a journalist, Master remarks, “Journalism gave me a really solid foundation for being able to to talk to people and actually listen to what they’re saying rather than just moving through the world with my own agenda. Connecting with people and communicating effectively is a vital skill, no matter what you do with your life.”

After recently earning her minor in education and working towards receiving a major in both English and Psychology, Masters hopes to become an Elementary School teacher and work with underprivileged students. Although not continuing with journalism, she certainly learned beneficial skills in the courses.