Penta Marketing Mentorship

WHS students gather outside Penta Communications after their first meeting

By Carly Flahive

Business programs here at Westborough are a huge part of many students daily schedules. Beginning this year, twelve seniors in business courses have been chosen to take part in the first ever Penta Mentoring opportunity. With meetings once every month, the students accompany WHS business teachers Mrs. Potosnak and Ms. Appuzzo-Langton to Penta Communications where they are mentored by owner, Mrs. Debora Penta. Students are excited for the opportunity and look forward to the activities they will participate in over the coming months.

“I think it is a great opportunity for the students,” mentions Potosnak. Not only will students be getting real word business experience, but they will also be able to make connections at an earlier stage than most people. Potosnak adds, “Debora [Penta] has a bunch of connections and resources she can help link students up with.” Knowing what it takes to get a business started and running successfully, Penta will be a fantastic person for the students to meet learn from. “I have known her forever,” says Potosnak, “and she has always been very helpful.”

One of the twelve seniors, Melissa Hamilton, is excited for what more there is to come with each meeting. “It’s a really nice opportunity to be treated professionally outside of school and be in a real world environment,” shares Hamilton. The opportunity allows students to learn real world marketing and business skills that they perhaps would not completely get out of sitting in a classroom.

In addition to learning how to work through different case studies, Hamilton is also ready to make more connections within the industry. “We get a business card from everyone we meet,” mentions Hamilton, “and we will have these contacts after high school when we will be ready to use them.”

With new issues being discussed at each meeting, such as how business and government work together, the students have a great opportunity to get a head start in learning the ways of a successful business. With many more meetings to come, Westborough business students are looking forward to broadening their knowledge.