Mr. Perryman: ‘The best part of the job is you guys”

By: Olivia Woodcock and Caitlin McCarthy

“It would be hard to imagine working anywhere else,” comments Westborough High School English teacher Mr. Perryman. He has been teaching at Westborough for sixteen years, and many have come to know him as the humorous and laid-back teacher that he is. Perryman, however, didn’t always know he wanted to become a teacher. In fact, he once dreamed of becoming an astronaut. “Unfortunately, that fell apart when I turned seven,” laughs Perryman.

After graduating from Willamette University in Oregon, he then attended graduate school at Boston College.  Following graduate school he became a student teacher at Westborough High School and quickly found an interest in working with students. Although Perryman was never the biggest fan of school growing up, he always had an interest in English class and writing.

Throughout his sixteen years at WHS, Perryman recalls many funny memories.  He once hopped on a desk as a screw fell out, causing him to collapse onto the floor. “I wiped out in front of the class.” Perryman considers this memory  to be one of the most embarrassing moments he has had teaching, although he laughs at the memory. This example, along with many other moments, make up the part of his job that he has come to love. When asked what the best part of his job was Perryman replies “ You guys.” Getting to know so many different students over the years is what he says makes his job so memorable yet hilarious at the same time.

Perryman does have good times at Westborough High School, but this isn’t the only part of his life. One of his favorite hobbies is cooking; he even says “I would teach cooking if I could.”  Perryman wishes that cooking could be an addition to the  electives he currently teaches. Perryman’s humor and ability to connect with his students is what makes him the great teacher he has become.