A Degree in Diapers

A Degree in Diapers

by:  Zoe Evans

While parenting classes are usually offered by hospitals, churches, and community centers to expecting parents, no such courses are mandatory before becoming entirely responsible for someone other than yourself. No one is born with the knowledge and skills needed to raise a child.  And simply being capable to birth or father a child does not mean someone is ready for parenthood with the tremendous amount of responsibility that accompanies it.

According to the National Children’s Alliance (NCA), in 2012, approximately 681,000 children were victims of maltreatment by their legal guardians. NCA’s Executive Director Teresa Huizar states that much of this maltreatment was done by people uneducated in parenthood and incapable of making sound decisions when it comes to their children, possibly just because they don’t know which decisions are the right ones. While some people may argue that making parenting classes mandatory would also make the assumption that there is one right way to raise your child, in truth the classes would simply be an aid for future parents to prepare them for a monumental lifestyle change.  They would be informed on not only basic skills needed to care for a baby-breastfeeding, making formula, and changing diapers-but also the emotional commitment required by soon-to-be mothers and fathers.

It is widely accepted that to get any job, one must first apply, have a resume, meet the requirements, and attend an interview with their possible employer. Or to get a driver’s license, in which two tests, countless hours of practice driving, and a six-month wait period is required. But any person is allowed to bring a baby into this world-with no prerequisites. In a New York Times article entitled “Should Parenting Require a License”, journalist Lisa Belkin takes a similar stance, stating that “perhaps parenting should require a license, just as it is a requirement for driving a car or, in some places, owning a dog.”

It doesn’t seem to make sense that while many states mandate a license in order to be responsible for a dog, no similar preconditions are necessary for a person of almost any age to be responsible for another human being.

Works Cited

“NATIONAL CHILDREN’S ALLIANCE.” National Children’s Alliance Digital Media Kit. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Nov. 2013.

“Should Parenting Require a License?” Motherlode Should Parenting Require a License Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Nov. 2013.