Rangers Football off to a Strong Start

By Grace Green

The Ranger’s football team has been training hard all summer in hopes of earning more wins for the 2017 season. While the team lost some key players and starters like previous captains Avery Andrews and Jonathan Ashton, a strong group of seniors lead the team this year.

Senior Peter LaMountain is returning as starting quarterback again this season alongside kicker and wide-receiver senior Sam Lis.  The team’s captains seniors Keough and Martin Moran will also contribute to the offense. 

It’s now head coach David Tinglof’s third year at WHS, each year working harder to improve the program with the final goals of making playoffs and have a winning season. The team had a record of 3-8 last season. The Ranger’s last winning season was in 2010.

Their hard work paid off on Saturday when the Rangers won their first game of the season and home-opener last weekend, defeating Tantasqua 17-0.

Tinglof remarks, “A win in week one is always big.  With what we have tried to accomplish in this program and the last two seasons we definitely needed this game.  The players came out ready to play and worked hard to prepare during the week.  Tantasqua is always a tough team and we were able to play well in all three phases of the game.”

Saturday’s game was hopefully the first of many victories for the team this season. The team has a lot to look forward to with many more opportunities for wins this season. Westborough will play eleven games in the regular season, including a homecoming and under the lights game as they continue to grow as a team on and off the field.

“We have had a great season so far.  The players are really working hard and continue to build the team culture and attitude.  I feel in our third season this is a time for the team to really develop on and off the field and they have definitely done that so far,” comments Tinglof.

With a strong returning group of players alongside some fresh faces, the team has a lot to look forward to as they battle their way towards a winning season for the first time in seven years.